swimming through confined space

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me thinks a STA less rig would significantly reduce the profile. Regardless of gear profile, it's just as important to be able to 'feel' your position in the water relative to the restriction ... especially if you are not allowed to touch it.

That's why I stay out of wrecks and prefer being under ice.

Dan Gibson:
Not to be rude (notice the forum name) , but what's the point to taking off the rig? Is this just another one of those stupid tests someone thought up. Why not tell the person administering the test how stupid taking one's rig off can actually be.

Underwater doff and don is a basic skill that should be included in all open water classes both as a test of underwater comfort and as a basic skill that may be required in underwater problem solving. In this instance, you are not required or asked to remove your gear. You are asked to swim through a restriction that simulates some of the restrictions that exist in one the exhibits that NAIB divers maintain. There is a seperate section of the in-water skills test that includes mask, fin, and weight belt removal and replacement underwater. Underwater removal and replacement of the scuba system is a basic skill included in RSTC standards (PADI, SSI, SDI, PDIC, YMCA Scuba, and IDEA in the US), NOAA diving standards (adds underwater fin removal and replacement) and every scientific diver program I have seen. Since this is the DIR section, we should reference the GUE Open water curriculm, but as one has not been officially published...

You really can't imagine any situation where removing some or all of your gear underwater would be useful?

Jackie

Dan Gibson:
Not to be rude (notice the forum name) , but what's the point to taking off the rig? Is this just another one of those stupid tests someone thought up. Why not tell the person administering the test how stupid taking one's rig off can actually be.
Not rude at all. I debated puting this here, but figured I really would like to know the DIR answer too. While I think it will be a quest for a smaller tank, no STA, and weight on weightbelt, I will probably not go and tell them their baby is ugly :)

...And, Jackie got through it without taking off her rig :)

Chris

Most aquarium divers use 40s while in the tank. The drum test is about control, most all college scientific diving programs make you do the same thing, except usually it's a hoop.

I've got to agree w/ Dan on this one. It may be okay during an OW class for an instructor to see if his/her student is comfortable. After that, there is almost no scenario (short of conjuring up some absurd nightmare situation) that I can see myself taking off my equipment at depth and then putting it back on. Especially in a drysuit.

Any other situation most likely would be resolved with your buddy/teammate.

This may be outside the scope of the DIR forum. NAIB divers generally dive al 63s. We do not dive in buddy pairs, but do have a surface tender. We are never deeper than 24'. Aquarium diving is a compromise for a DIR diver. You can dive your own rig and I do, but it is not exactly DIR compliant. It is fair to say that my aquarium rig is hogarthian in that it is streamlined and utilitarian. It is as close to my open water rig as I could make it without carrying a ton of stuff that I don't need. No buddy means no air sharing so no long hose - no back-up reg (max depth 24' - no deco requirements and the use of j-valves to satisfy OSHA's reserve requirements) means no bungied back-up. No lights, no pockets, etc. I still dive a basic harness and bp/wing set-up and clip my spg to my left hip d-ring. I'd say that there is no better place to work on bouyancy and multi-tasking skills, but I really do it because it's fun and a great way to do your bit for the aquatic environment.

Jackie

cmalinowski:
Not rude at all. I debated puting this here, but figured I really would like to know the DIR answer too. While I think it will be a quest for a smaller tank, no STA, and weight on weightbelt, I will probably not go and tell them their baby is ugly :)

Chris

The DIR answer is:

Your buddy cuts you out of whatever your entangled in and you don't go places you don't fit.

You asked for the DIR answer, thats it.

If you don't fit, there is no DIR way to swim though said barrel.

Unless you change to sidemount, but then DIR sidemount is a... mess.

cmalinowski:
Not rude at all. I debated puting this here, but figured I really would like to know the DIR answer too. While I think it will be a quest for a smaller tank, no STA, and weight on weightbelt, I will probably not go and tell them their baby is ugly...

While I've never enjoyed the pleasure of meeting Jackie, I get the sense that she is not 6'1" and 250 lbs. The fact that Jackie didn't have to doff her gear is rather irrelevant to whether you do or not! :)

I recommend you achieve the cleanest profile you can possibly achieve, and keep your rig on.

If you absolutely must remove it, then use a standard BC and a weightbelt - which is tons easier to doff and don than a BP/wing arrangement.

[Moreover, while donning and doffing a rig may be a standard skill, I can conceive of no situation below 200' where I'd want to doff my rig. I have team mates to deal with whatever might entangle me, and doffing would cause more cluster potential than it would resolve.]

Edit: I got interrupted while responding (they expect me to actually work here from time to time), and I see you've already been given the same answer. Good luck with your test. Think petite!

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom