swimming through confined space

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmalinowski

Contributor
Reaction score
All,
I have a test this weekend to try and become a diver at the local aquarium. Part of the test is to swim through a 50-gal drum. Now, it appears that the easiest, and possibly only, way to do this is to take off the BC and push it ahead of you. I took this test last year, but it was sort of pointless since I had been out of the water for a year and was only certified just before that year-long break. I had a different BC which came off and floated in front of me pretty well.

This year I have my SS plate and steel PST119 and no additional led. When I take it off, the rig sinks like a rock and I float like a lift bag. It seems near impossible to get it through something with those bouyancy issues hanging around. So, I'm thinking that switching to an alum plate and moving 5 lbs to a weight belt might solve the problem, but figured I would post here and see what everyone does for swimming through confined spaces.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

You should be able to fit with your tank on. I'v gone though them in doubles.

JimC:
I believe that with a single tank and STA, a diver has a significantly higher profile than a diver in doubles.

I am pretty sure that I was the only person through it sucessfully last year that did not remove their BCD. I did it in an al 80 and a Halcyon 30lb Eclipse. Lose the steel tank and add a weight belt. In hind sight, I would take an al 63 or 72 to the test if I could find one.

Jackie

cylinder altogether and just sling a single 40...

If ya get stuck, do they help you out, or just seal the ends?!! <G>

detroit diver:
If ya get stuck, do they help you out, or just seal the ends?!! <G>

The tester would help you out, but then you probably wouldn't qualify for the dive program. There are some pretty tight swim throughs in the Atlantic Coral reef exhibit. They'd like for you to get through the barrel without touching it at all. It can be done in a singles wing with everything streamlined. Other than that, you'll be taking off your bcd.

JimC:

Hoyden:
I am pretty sure that I was the only person through it sucessfully last year that did not remove their BCD. I did it in an al 80 and a Halcyon 30lb Eclipse. Lose the steel tank and add a weight belt. In hind sight, I would take an al 63 or 72 to the test if I could find one.

I'm 6'1" and 250. I'm a fairly large individual (but working on it). I've thought about dumping the big steel, but I have to think about what to do. I have an al80; If dropping to an al63 or 72 would get me through, then I'm going to try and find one. I was lucky enough to have the pioneer wing so that I have the built-in STA because I had the bulky hammerhead 5lb STA which was overweighting me in wetsuit. So, I did reduce my profile some. Now if I could just speed my diet and excersise program up to have me lose 35 lbs by Sunday, I'm golden :D

Does anyone know the diameter of a 50g drum?

Thanks all, any other info/thoughts is still welcome.

Chris

Not to be rude (notice the forum name) , but what's the point to taking off the rig? Is this just another one of those stupid tests someone thought up. Why not tell the person administering the test how stupid taking one's rig off can actually be.

cmalinowski:
All,
I have a test this weekend to try and become a diver at the local aquarium. Part of the test is to swim through a 50-gal drum. Now, it appears that the easiest, and possibly only, way to do this is to take off the BC and push it ahead of you. I took this test last year, but it was sort of pointless since I had been out of the water for a year and was only certified just before that year-long break. I had a different BC which came off and floated in front of me pretty well.

This year I have my SS plate and steel PST119 and no additional led. When I take it off, the rig sinks like a rock and I float like a lift bag. It seems near impossible to get it through something with those bouyancy issues hanging around. So, I'm thinking that switching to an alum plate and moving 5 lbs to a weight belt might solve the problem, but figured I would post here and see what everyone does for swimming through confined spaces.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Just a thought, you could lose the STA just for the test. Tank might flop a bit, but no biggie for just the test. Strap a 40 on your back sans STA. (BTW, not DIR!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom