Swimming and dry mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A local had a pool installed lately and its a non chlorine system. They told me its a salt water pool. I laughed at them and they said go check yourself. It actually was. How wierd is that? A saltwater pool in NE NY. I have a salt water fish tank and its amazing what will grow in there there must be something other then salt that kills the germs.

A saltwater swimming pool is mildly saline (closer to your eye’s salinity than the ocean’s) It uses electrolysis to make chlorine from the salt (sodium chloride), so you don’t have to add it.

Another method of pool water maintenance is to use bromine instead of chlorine.

knotical:
Another method of pool water maintenance is to use bromine instead of chlorine.

That's the one we have. It gives less skin problem and allegic reaction, but pricey.....

I was figuring it was saltwater, we were looking at getting a pool added to our house and was looking at them, apparently they're cheaper to maintain.

But yeah if it is saltwater drinking it is DEFINATELY not going to help with dry mouth.

I just come back from the pool. After pre-drinking a lot of water, I got in water. Man, I felt like a beer bottle in water. It helps a little though, not much..

In addition, I have another issue. How do you take care of your skin when you swim regularly? Are there any particular caution when you take a shower and any particular lotion or treatment after swimming exercise? I can see my skin is getting more dry.

Thanks for you insights in advance.

hoosier:
I just come back from the pool. After pre-drinking a lot of water, I got in water. Man, I felt like a beer bottle in water. It helps a little though, not much..

In addition, I have another issue. How do you take care of your skin when you swim regularly? Are there any particular caution when you take a shower and any particular lotion or treatment after swimming exercise? I can see my skin is getting more dry.

Thanks for you insights in advance.

Hey Hoosier, I swim a mile+ 5 days a week and I drink more water than I do when I work out in the gym. Even though, you're in water, you still need to hydrate. And DON'T DRINK THE POOLWATER!! Nothing in there but chemicals and PEE!! :) As for the skin thing, make sure you get a good shower and get all the chemicals off and then get yourself some moisturizer!!

Hahaha..

I might not be clear.

I didn't drink the pool water, just plunged my mouth in the pool water (a couple of times to test what happened) :wink:

Are you using a soap every times?

After pre-drinking a lot of water, I got in water. Man, I felt like a beer bottle in water. It helps a little though, not much..

I ususally don't drink an excessive amount of water before a workout, I find it's better to leave a water bottle at the end of the lane and am drinking from that whenever I rest. If I run out I got fill it at the fountain and get back it. It's worth breaking in the middle if it means you go that much longer.

How do you take care of your skin when you swim regularly? Are there any particular caution when you take a shower and any particular lotion or treatment after swimming exercise? I can see my skin is getting more dry.
If it's really sensitive switch to a bodywash with a poofy thing, soap and hotwater should take care of it most of the time though. Sometimes the drying can cause trouble in um, sensitive areas, some people use baby powder, I find liberal use of conditioner works fine.

I wouldn't have thought it was THAT bad though to be causing this many problems...what are they using in this pool anyways?

hoosier:
I was told that they are using a different sanitizing method rather than a chlorine.

I don't recall what it is...

No. I don't drink anything particular before swimming. I sipped a pool water a couple of times to reduce a dry mouth while I am stroking, but it didn't help.

My vote is that the pH in the pool is off.

Imagine having your symptoms AND having braces. It is not fun having to stop on the walls to pick your lips off the brackets. Thank goodness I don't have that problem anymore.

Back
Top Bottom