Swimming ability in different drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... This is only for personal use. Recreational diving. Would love to in the near future take some courses and pursue wreck diving.
OK, I hear ya. Keep in mind that work suits are tax deductable! (recycle your old suit to the work locker)
A compressed or crushed neoprene should give you the best "body hugging" performance, & still give you most all the benefits of a bag suit.
What kind of $$ are you willing to shell out?

Funny you should ask that. Do you have a wife like mine? I am willing to spend about $1500 on a suit. But it will really cost me about $3000. I will have to spend about an equal amount in extra furniture for the new house......I think we have plenty as it is.

But thats what I was looking at. I have found an authorized dealer that will sell me a CLX450 for $1518, and that includes a sock change for my big honking feet. I didnt ask him but Im guessing a CF200 in going to be a little more. I did get a discount for being a public safety employee.

I really thought I knew what I wanted. But I feel myself being drawn to a crushed neoprene suit. What really concerns me are performance issues. Im really wondering now if these trilams are going to be a big kludge to swim in. I should have been A LOT clearer. I use the analogy of the Viking as its all I have experience in. If a trilam is going to produce the same amount of drag and restriction, I may have to go with a compressed neoprene.

A compressed neoprene doesnt change your trim that much at depth right?

SparkySFD:
Thanks for the comments guys. Very helpful.

rmediver2002

Yes. The Viking is a work suit only. For what its used for I guess its fine. If I have to use it for work the water can often be contaminated. Day before yesterday I had to hook up a tow cable to pull a backhoe out of the lake. There was some gas and oil in the water.

I am fairly new to drysuit diving. Use as little air as possible. Just enough to ease the squeeze. I am getting way more comfortable diving dry.

Just really like being unrestricted. I really thought a shell was the way to go. I have to really dive one to be sure but I can see now where it could be a real drag. Is it like being in a bag? The Viking sure feels that way.

You might want to look into an Abyss Dry suit..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom