Swapping Tank Valves Yoke to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giles45shop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

Is it possible to switch tank valves from yoke to 300 Bar DIN? I have a Catalina 3300 psi 80CF tank with a yoke valve and I asked my LDS about switching to DIN. My other tank and regs are DIN. They idicated that they would have to use one of the new yoke/DIN valves and it would be $65 for the valve and not really a good thing to do. They recommended the DIN to yoke adaper, which I have, but don't really like to use.

Does this make sense, and are aluminum tanks only found w/ yoke or the new yoke/DIN valves? I eventually am going to double up a set of AL 80's and I really don't want to switch to yoke regs.

Thanks,

John

The DIN-to-yoke adapter is more for travel and using rental tanks. Life is so much easier if all your tanks have the same type of valves on them.
Switch away.

Agreed. That's why I wanted to do it, but I was somewhat suprised that they couldn't put in a regular DIN valve, which I would suspect is cheaper than the $65 Thermo valve.

Not a good thing?

All of my tanks are DIN, steels, aluminiums, argon bottles, the works. You can find a 200 bar DIN valve for less than $65 from various vendors. IMO that's kinda pricey.

Why not put the "thermo pro vale" on ? It is a valve that is DIN with a Yoke insert.
It's not 300 bar, but you don't need 300 bar with aluminum tanks. I know it's rated to 3442psi, which exceeds your Catalina 3300 rating.

That way you could use it with either regulator. (yoke or DIN).

Check this one out.

Thermo Pro Valve SP-5651 - $52
http://www.divesports.com/mall/thermo_valves_provalve5651.asp
kprovalvelg.jpg

If you're going to eventually go to double AL80's, why not buy the manifold now and break it down and use it independently until you need it as doubles. When you're ready to go to doubles, you simple just re-assemble it and you won't have to buy new valves twice. (you can buy the LH and RH valve indpendently and the crossover at a later time, but easier and slightly cheaper just to buy it all together now).

For that you'd need a Thermo Pro Isolation Manifold Assembly - $228
http://www.divesports.com/mall/thermo_valves_proisolatorassy.asp
provalveisolationassylg.jpg

How's that?

-mike

I thought it sounded high and I don't know why they couldn't put in a regular DIN valve. What's the difference between 200 and 300? I know it's pressure, but is there any other difference that would keep my reg from working?

rsponded to rjacks post while Mike was responding.

Mike - I think that's the valve that they were going to install. I really don't need yoke, so that's why I wanted a straight DIN valve. The isolator is a good idea, but more than I want to invest right now.

Thanks,

John

giles45shop:
rsponded to rjacks post while Mike was responding.

Mike - I think that's the valve that they were going to install. I really don't need yoke, so that's why I wanted a straight DIN valve. The isolator is a good idea, but more than I want to invest right now.

You can get the same valve in 300 Bar 'straight DIN' for the same price ($57)
http://www.divesports.com/mall/thermo_valves_DINvalve5262.asp
300DINvalvelg.jpg

I just put the convertible valves up in the original post because it gave you the yoke option and met your pressure requirement. The 300 bar valve is a higher PSI vavle, but you'll never reach that with your aluminum tank.

If you want to buy the 300 bar valves now that you can insert the Isolator in later, you'd wan the 8062RH and 8062LH. Both $78. You can add the isolater (SP-8002) later for an additional $78

If I had to replace my valves on my aluminum tanks, I'd get one of the above setups. I just haven't yet becaue they have working K-valves that are almost brand new and like you, I didn't want to invest the funds for them right now.

One other option is to get the SEA Elite valve manifold. Lots of people get those and like them. They have a 200 bar and 300 bar DIN manifold for $169. A lot cheaper than the above choices.
http://www.divers-supply.com/MANIFOLD-ABD-200BAR-3-4-p/ocd623.htm
http://www.divers-supply.com/SEA-ELITE-300-BAR-3-4-MANIFOLD-p/ocd624.htm

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll keep using the HP Steel until I save up a few $. I hadn't priced valves before, now I know.

John

Look at the Sea Elite manifolds on E-bay. The 200 bar can sometimes be bought for $99 and plugs are $9 each. You may also want to post on the boards looking for the Thermo 200 bar DIN/K valves. Lots of people buy tanks, double them up, and have a drawer full of new valves laying around. They usually sell for $25 or so.

Back
Top Bottom