SVT and Return to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

02gluken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
About a year ago, I had PE in both lungs due to blood clot that broke loose after diving in Indonesia and long flight. I was put on blood thinners and after six months was cleared to dive. Pulmonoligist considered provoked PE and Hematologist could not find any factors that contributed to. A little over a month ago I got another blood clot in the GSV. Again this was due to a long drive and not stopping and getting out of car on a regular basis. Again was put on blood thinner and all has cleared up. My understanding is SVT is really not that uncommon and much different than a DVT. No one has really given a definitive ok on when I can return to diving. My Hematologist said more in the range o 6 months like when I had PE, but had upcoming trip scheduled last week. Any thoughts on safety to dive?

02gluken,

Normally we recommend that people who are taking anticoagulants not dive, due to increased risk of bleeding in the event of injury (e.g. falling and hitting your head while kitted up). I'd recommend visiting Dr. Keith Van Meter and company at LSU for an in-person consult.

Best regards,
DDM

Given that you had a second thrombolic event it’s likely that you will need lifelong anticoagulation. This will as of course increase your risk of bleeding as DDM also suggests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom