Suunto ZOOP review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In retrospect, I should have bought the console version and put it in one of Deep Sea Supply's bungee mounts.

You can put the wrist mount zoop in the DSS mount, just remove the straps.

.....But most people (myself included) feel that a bar graph that directly represents a concept is more intuitive than a bar graph that inversely represents a concept......
YES .... but, they have defined that bar graph as "Consumed Bottom Time" and the related graphical representation is indeed directly proportional to their definition: lots of ticks in the bar = lot of bottom time consumed.

.....So a bar graph that is directly proportional to nitrogen load is more intuitive than a bar graph that inversely represents calculated NDL. ........
YES ..... but, this is NOT how they defined that bar graph .... see above.
I think the confusion here is that users might "expect" that bar graph to "show something" at the surface because in OW we were taught the concept of "residual nitrogen"

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I modified my review to reflect a general desire for the RGBM algorithm, not just Suunto's algorithm. Thank you.

There is no standard recreational RGBM algo. It seems to be whatever BRW wants it to be at the time.

According to a chart that DiveNav has put up a few times, the Mares implementation is more conservative than the Suunto's, & according to RonR, the Suunto is more conservative than the Cobalt.

None of these recreational RGBM implementations use the full dual phase bubble model. Instead, they use a single phase, neo Haldainian model that has been hacked to behave something like the fully iterative model. In fact, according to RonR, BRW maintained quite strenuously that full RGBM was not necessary and should not be used at shallow depths.

So you not only are not using a real version of RGBM, according to the intellectual property owner, a real implementation of RGBM isn't any good for recreational diving.

YES .... but, they have defined that bar graph as "Consumed Bottom Time" and the related graphical representation is indeed directly proportional to their definition: lots of ticks in the bar = lot of bottom time consumed.

Technically, that is correct, it is directly proportional to their definition.

But when I drive my car, I do NOT think about how much gas I have consumed; instead I am concerned with how much gas is still in my tank. If my car was designed like Suunto's ZOOP, my automobile's gas gauge would show how much gas I consumed, not how much gas remained in the tank.

Likewise, when I am diving, I am concerned about how much NDL I have remaining, not how much bottom time I have "consumed." So my point is that the ZOOP's operation is inversely proportional to the logical and intuitive way of thinkng about the dive.

It works, but it takes some getting used to. I would prefer a more logical and intuitive computer, but for now you won't see my ZOOP on eBay.

...In fact, according to RonR, BRW maintained quite strenuously that full RGBM was not necessary and should not be used at shallow depths...

That is my understanding, too.

Mark, know who makes an algortihm that uses a blend -- RGBM for the deep part of the dive and Bühlmann for the shallower phase?

----

On another note, there is nothing bad about showing both a digital number for NDL remaining and an analog bar graph showing nitrogen loading. Analog data is much easier to scan and process than digital data.

In an aircraft cockpit, I can scan my entire panel of analog gauges in a fraction of a second and know exactly the status of everything represented. When some of the analog gauges were replaced with digital readouts, the time required to scan all gauges and understand that data increased by an order of magnitude. The best of both worlds is when analog gauges are supplemented by digital data. That way you can scan the analog data when you are just glancing at the gauge, but you have the digital number as well when you want more precise data.

Our brains are wired for analog data.

Last edited:
- Every LDS I have ever been to that sells Suunto has the plastic screen guards. They are cheap, although I've never actually had to replace one.

- My wrist mount Zoop is in a DSS bungee mount. The wrist mount and console mount are actually the same thing aside from the strap.

- Put the computer in nitrox mode, then you won't have to worry about a nitrogen graph that works differently than you would prefer. I personally think the bar graph is pretty useless anyway. I stick with the numbers. (As for the OLF, I never plan to even come close to the 24 hour exposure on the tables on my dives, so that graph is a mere curiosity to me.)

That is my understanding, too.

Mark, know who makes an algortihm that uses a blend -- RGBM for the deep part of the dive and Bühlmann for the shallower phase?

The Cobalt uses a blend of rec & full RGBM, but the full RGBM doesn't kick in until you reach 46mt/150'. I'v wondered ever since Ron told me, (on this board) how many rec divers will ever invoke the use of the full RGBM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom