Suunto Vyper V's Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murf-Diver

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at a sturdy wrist-mounted Suunto computer for recreational diving on air and the natural choice for me is a Vyper. :thumb:
But when comparing the Vyper to the cheaper Zoop I notice there is really just five extra features on the Vyper and from my point of view none of them are worth the extra $80! :thumbs_down:
Am I missing something?

1. Light: Vyper has a back light that is button operated, where as the Zoop is phosphorescent (glow in the dark). If it's too dark to see the dial, I will be using my torch on the dive anyway. My SPG has no backlight.

2. Strap and Mount: I will be putting the unit in a custom bungee mount, so the current mount on both units would end up in the bin anyway.

3. Depth: The Vyper is rated to 150m where as the Zoop will 'only' go to 100m. I am diving on air.

4. Calender Clock & Daily Alarm: It's a dive computer. That's what iPhones were invested for.

5. Sampling Rate: Zoop is set at 30 secs, Vyper can be adjusted to 10,20,30 secs. According to Suunto this means how often readings are "stored in the memory" as opposed to how often readings are taken to calculate deco, dive time, depth etc. I stopped downloading my dives to my PC years ago, so I don't need this feature either.

Both units use the same Suunto RGBM algorithm, are the same size and weight and are in the same housing.
Am I missing something here?:confused:

You have it covered pretty well. Having owned both I preferred the Zoop (Gekko) find it easier to shine my light on the computer when night diving than trying to activate the back light on the Vyper particularly wearing gloves. I would buy the Zoop put it in a DSS mount and go diving to me the Vyper is not worth the extra.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 08:34 AM ----------

But I'd buy the newish black Zoop and not the hideous yellow or orange one.

I am actually surprised that Suunto is still selling the Vyper they must have made a bunch before they shifted to the Vyper Air.

That said for the OP it would appear that you are thinking about your current diving what about future diving? Both handle Nitrox so you are covered there. I like the gauge mode on Vyper but that is my need. Perhaps there might be another need. And I have used the alarm before.

I own and dive a viper air w/ a zoop as a redundant spare.

Both of them live in DSS boots bungied on my wrists.

Vyper does not default back to air once set to nitrox like the zoop does, this is not a big deal but is a convenient piece.

The back light feature is better than shining a light as the face can glare out and the back light is just perfect.

If faced with this decision myself I would buy the vyper. Especially when we are merely talking about $50.

I thought the Vyper also has gauge mode, doesn't it? Zoop does not.

I own and dive a viper air w/ a zoop as a redundant spare.

Vyper [air] does not default back to air once set to nitrox like the zoop does, this is not a big deal but is a convenient piece.

You are speaking about the Vyper Air not the Vyper. That said the switching back to 21% is an annoying feature on the Zoop. The Cobra does that as well. Not sure about the Vyper. Something worth checking (the Vytec does not switch either(.

Interesting suggestions, thanks guys

---------- Post added November 1st, 2013 at 11:17 AM ----------

I emailed Suunto yesterday about the sampling rate on the Zoop and I must say I am very surprised with their reply...

Hi, Can you please clarify exactly what the 30 sec "Sampling Rate" means in relation to the Zoop. Does this mean there is a 30 sec gap between each consecutive depth and time reading used in the deco calculation? So for example, if a reading is taken at 20m depth and you assend to the surface in 25 seconds and check your Zoop, it will still show you are at 20m deep?

Please be informed that Zoop's sampling rate is 30 seconds by default, and it means that for 29 seconds you will be shown the same depth, the last registered, even if your vertical position has changed during this time interval. The example provided by you illustrates very well this situation. Should you have other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!

WTF?? This means the deco calculation, depth, dive time & temp showing on the screen of a Zoop can be 1/2 a minute old at any point in time..30 secs is a long time when doing an assent.

The Zoop has just been removed from my shopping list!!

WTF?? This means the deco calculation, depth, dive time & temp showing on the screen of a Zoop can be 1/2 a minute old at any point in time..30 secs is a long time when doing an assent.

Yikes! is is for real? This seems like a huge limitation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom