Suunto Vyper vs Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am about to buy a wrist dive computer and was considering the Suunto Vyper and Mosquito models. From a functional standpoint they are very similar and the price is nearly the same. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of these two models?

The Mosquito is attractive because it doubles up as a regular sports watch, but what do you sacrifice in order to get the smaller size?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Alexinsiva

I chose the Vyper for the larger display. Didn't think I'd ever wear the Mosquito as a watch. The Vyper is mildly irritating when I'm on the boat (I have small wrists, so it makes a noticeable lump). Not a problem in the water, though.

Zept

You are correct, the vyper and mosquito are funtionally almost exactly the same. There were a few minor differences I found when deciding. I can't remember why I got the mosquito. The smaller face isn't a problem for me. I am extremely short sighted and have dived with it without corrective lenses without any problems. The only complaint I have is that the face scratches easily. Found out from this board that it is because most computers use plastic faces (as opposed to glass/crystal) ... not sure why !

The vyper is a much older model. The mosquito was just released last year so there is less "data" with the mosquito.

Hi alexinsiva:

Right now on Ebay they are selling a Vyper for the buy it now price of $299.95. Just go to www.ebay.com click on sporting goods, then click on scuba, then type the word Vyper in the search box and you’ll be brought right to it.

…………..Arduous………..

I also did a lot of research on this last year and went with the Mosquito. I don't wear it as a sport watch either, but I have found it really easy to use/read in the water - and the little plastic face cover they send you with it has (so far) kept it from scratching.

I went with the Mosquito although there is virtually no difference in specification. I use it as a watch as well. The little plastic cover they send you does protect the face from scratching.

I read somewhere that the plastic protector trapped sand so I never used it ... probably a mistake. I have been using packing tape (recommendation from the board) and so far has been very effective.

Does anyone know why they don't use crystal/glass ?

Recently bought a Mosquito from PrincetonWatches for US$398 with PC interface included.
I dive it. I like it. I sometimes wear it as a watch. I sometimes hear "nice watch"

I chose the Mosquito....I like that I can wear it as a watch.

I generally just wear it on Dive days (that way I don't forget it) and I wear it until my no fly icon goes away after my dive. Call me paranoid, but if I ever had a DCS issue....my profile's on my arm.

I don't wear it as a watch generally....it's not really the fashion statement I'm looking for :wink:

Hello everybody,

Based on your inputs, I decided to buy a Vyper. Thanks to all for the useful feedback.

Regards,
Alexinsiva

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom