Suunto USB cable DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2015 spells DIY heaven - Raspberry Pi and araduino are removing electrical enfeeblement. The keywords for the connector is one wire connector - GND and IO. I think you will find some mobile phones and Radio scanners also use one wire variants. But I am not clever enough to know.

On Aliexpress.com there are USB to TTL logic cards for about $1 each, posted. Roli had a three transistor circuit with protection (read well designed) that you see on the Zoop DIY YouTube video.
With the Zener and other diodes is is NOT going to hurt your dive computer and could even be better than an official cable - but I don't know this either or for sure.

Since Roli's circuit 12 years have passed. USB is universal, and serial ports are dying in new pcs. It would be good to convert his boards to GERBER format so some PCB fab houses can ship the boards
cheaply and maybe even do a surface mount run to match to the dollar Transistor to Transistor (TTL) USB boards. (Which is to join TX and RX into one wire at the right voltage levels).

It would be quite feasible to work a Bluetooth dongle/adapter to one-wire if someone decided wow- so many pre-made solutions!

I have decided make up a diy cable and pre-order the bits as I am up to hobby grade soldering. I'll marry up a USB TTL board to the Rolo circuit. I expect it to work with all the latest Windows versions, bar new electro software driver sabotage. I think this is why Suunto is having trouble with even legit software, as the PC's and laptops carry harmware drivers.

Let me explain. The Chinese are functionally copying chips and printing the same part number as the original, especially for UART's , USB and USB interface chips. The pissed off 'owner' then modifies and publishes a new driver, so with windows update program, you find you USB stick or Camera Memory card stops working because the 'driver' zeros the recognition numbers with a write operation in the fake part. Apparently this is not a crime. So it don't work. I think you can much with something .inf files and get it working in some cases. At least with XP that trick stopped. With Windows 10 coming up, many board members may find their memory cards fried the moment you stick it in a newer laptop that come with harmful drivers with the booby trap.

I just got myself a non-working Suunto Vyper and hope to fix it or fall back on an old Uwatec Sport or a Companion. I think S is mean spirited in not flatly saying what goes wrong in old (>6 year) dive computers or what to try.(then say, because of this, it is uneconomic to repair) Replacement parts are now cheap, and there are reverse engineering Shops in China who also repair things. I suspect thorough rinsing and not letting it soak in high saline such as the corner of a gear bag is part of the problem. I suspect plane depressurization may suck sodium ions in causing trouble as the dive computer accumulates repeated heating/cooling cycles.

As for the proprietary or mega obscure connector, I'm OK with that. aliexpress has lots of goodies including spring pins. If I learn PCB layout with GERBER output, some PCB house can precision cut a board with plated thru holes. When DIY plastic 3D printers are cheaper, that nonsense will also come to an end.

For more on one wire
Arduino Playground - OneWire

---------- Post added June 8th, 2015 at 09:56 PM ----------

I just bought a premade adapter for $6.25 here in China. I think the shipping to the US is about $10 and I'd send to anyone who is interested.

Please post a pic of same - and are there any identifying marks? Is the connector the same?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom