Suunto Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmsdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Curious to know if anyone has used the Suunto computer software (for the vyper, cobra, etc line)? What are it's features, limitations, pros, cons? I am looking for opinions so as to formulate an opinion on whether the $140+ price is worth it.

Thanks.

Ask Warhammer in a couple of days. A lil birdy told me he's got one in route.

I've played with one before, and can say that it's real fun to look at your dives after the fact. Tell you what, it makes you real aware of a sawtooth profile habit (if you have one).

I received one from Diveinn two weeks ago for my Spyder. It isn't too bad. It does a nice graph of the dive. It allows me to put in lots of information about the dive (gear, location, conditions, buddy, etc.) and once a bit of information is put in it becomes a choice when a category is filled in later.

Part of the graph is the nitrogen loading based on the time location of the dive. It is interesting to look at how things progressed. I have played with the simulation section a little and it is a bit cumbersome to input the data.

If nothing else it is useful just for seeing what the dive looked like and if I soak my logbook in the future I still have a copy of the dives somewhere.

JoelW

Suunto's site has a demo you can download. It includes data for a few dives and allows you to simulate a dive. It's a little cumbersome to plot out the dive, but since I don't have a computer (yet), it was cool to watch the simulated display.

I just got the dive manager from diveinn. It came very quickly (compared to Simply Scuba products). My main problem at first was that I have a Mosquito and the adapter was not designed with the Mossy in mind. I am not sure if this is Diveinns deal or Suunto. You kind of have to hold the adapter and computer just right to get the contacts to line up correctly. I have not been able to find much info on the web about it, like if this is normal or diveinn is just selling one of the adapters for the other computers as one for the mossy also. Keep in mind that the software is free, you are paying $100 for that fifty cent serial adapter. Ug, and that is through diveinn, through local shops it is up to $150 and above.

Anyway, I like the basic setup of the software, you can add dives that are not on the comp pretty easy and it does fill all the info in from logged dives. I like it as good as any I saw on the web for free or paper dive logs, though none of them I liked perfectly.

The dive simulator is a bit cumbersome as someone also pointed out. I hope they fix that as I would really like an easy application that can be used to plan multiple dives with air/depth/nitrox et al. This one could forseeably do it, just not intuitively. I know I can always delve into the instructions, but to me the mark of good software of this type is that it is intuitive and easy to use.

I would buy it again if given the chance. It is easy to print the logs and use them and back it up to diskette so if anything ever happens to your paper trail or home computer you can have it on diskette. Also IDL looks like they eventually will have (if not already) a compatibility program with the mossy, and most of the other suunto products already work. I do like the idea of having the internet copy as most shops have access now.

Definitely download the free copy and play with it as that is basically what you get, the cable just allows the dive computer to dump all the info in without you having to enter it.

Feel free to ask more questions if you would like.

Tommy

Interesting to hear I'm not the only one with delivery problems from Simply Scuba. If the interface from my Mosquito ever arrives I'l see how well it fits.

Ralph

I got my cable from my LDS and it works fairly well. Some issues with keeping the contacts on the computer really clean or the cable has an attitude. I recently downloaded (free upgrades so far) the most recent version (1.4) from suunto and it works the best so far. Less crashes when flipping through graphs and a great deal less attitude (less communication losses) when trying to download.

I've been using it for about 4 months and really like it. I don't know what other software have to offer, so I can't compare. I have a Stinger. It took several trials to understand how to put the dive computer in its slot. Not much explanation came with it. Anyway, after I figured it out, everything worked out great. No crash, no connection issue.

It's really cool to look at the graph of each dive, especially if you do something wrong in terms of depth or ascent speed, etc. The graph gives you a much better sense of what you did than the log function on the dive computer does.

Also, logging the dive on the computer is a little like using Quicken. You never have to input twice the same information. The scroll lists are pretty efficient.

Finally, a friend of mine lost her actual log book and didn't have any backup... Having the info stored on the computer may be redundant, but redudancy is good when you're diving, isn't it?

back in March, 5 days from order to delivery. I also got the software with my cobra, but had downloaded and tried out divemanager even before buying the computers. I now have the mosquito for a back up and dl both for comparing. The IA cobra is nice when put on divemanager to instantly track SAC. Another neat toy to play with and as noted, a good backup to your logbook.

tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom