Which is a better computer?

• Suunto Vyper

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Uwatec Aladin Sport Plus

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ended up deciding on the Vyper from Suunto.

FINANCIAL: In a console with an SPG (retail)
Uwatec Sport Plus $498 (not nitrox compatable)
Uwatec Pro Ultra $596 (nitrox compatable)
Suunto Vyper $575 (nitrox compatable)

FLEXIBILITY:
Although I do not have personal experience with Uwatec, I love my Vyper. The display is clear, it gives me all the information I want and it has the expandability I desire. As of yet, I haven't been advanced or nitrox certified, but wanted the capabilites if/when I do nitrox or semit-technical diving. I wanted a computer that I could use for many many years without wishing I had bought one with more features in the first place.

LOCK OUTS/VIOLATION: Y
ou want to look into what situations Uwatec computers will lock you out. The Vyper doesn't lock you out. If you commit a serious violation, such as ignoring a mandatory decompression stop, it will go into error mode which means it will not provide additional decompression info or no deco limits, but still provide depth, time, temp and ascent rate information. I have violated the ascent rate on the Vyper and it lets you know, but you can keep diving with it. In this case the Vyper recommends a longer surface interval before the next dive. The Vyper is not easily violated by accident: I've never violated it by accident by just picking up the gauge quickly. Even for decompression violations, it gives you three minutes to correct the error. If you do that, it won't go into error mode for the next dive. (Sorry I'm rambling)

EASE OF USE:
Personally, I like the pushbuttons on the Vyper more than the water contacts on the Uwatec. The water contacts are annoying to operate if you are doing cold water diving and always have gloves on. Further, I really like the the Suunto displays temperature on the main screen and that I can opt to make the deco model more conservative for when I get cold, am slightly dehydrated or tired.

RESEARCH:
I know that on Suunto's website you can download a .pdf file of the Owners Manual for the Vyper or the other computers. Uwatec might offer the same thing. If you're really on the fence, go read the manuals for the computers you are considering. Then you'll know exactly what features (and rules) the computer you're getting has.

Hope this helps.
Mer

Scuba446 once bubbled...
This may sound ignaorant, but just WHAT ARE the advantages of diving Nitrox vs Air?

Are the advantages REALLY worth having to have all my regs, tank, etc. O2 cleaned?

Do I need a tank set-up and set aside specifically for Nitrox vs Air? What if I want to get just a plain Air fill inbetween Nitrox dives? Does it all have to get 02 'cleaned' again?

When we say 'O2 cleaned' do we just mean O2 grease and O-rings or is there an actual 'cleaning?'

????

Depends. For repetitive dives it will cut your nitrogen loading and either give you more bottom time or more conservatism. If you're an older diver (me) its good all the time.

You don't have to change anything to dive nitrox, with the possible exception of tanks if you can only get partial pressure fills. There is nothing to do with regs unless you get into technical nitrox.

Tanks do not have to dedicated to nitrox unless you're dealing with a stupid fill source, again, depending on the method of tank filling.

O2 Clean and O2 Service are not the same, but O2 clean "usually" is taken to indicate O2 service. Cleaning means just that, while service means changing to O2 grade lube and o-rings.

Diving nitrox is really a very simple thing. People make it much harder than it is.

Phil

Phil

Thanks all,
Sounds great - I've looked at both web sites and Suunto's .pdf's and I am going to go with the Vyper. I wanted the wrist unit, and I dive a single SPG and my Suunto compass is wrist mounted.

Leisure pro has Vyper's at great prices, so I'll go that route.

Thanks everyone!

definitely shop around!!
mer said...
Suunto Vyper $575 (nitrox compatable)

i paid us$230 for a brand new vyper from a diveshop.
i wonder why the big difference...
JP

Well, the price I listed is retail and for the Vyper in a console with an spg. Subtract $100-120 for the Vyper without the console. When all said and done I got my Vyper for about $390 from the LDS. I know that I paid a bit of a premium because this is my first set-up and I wanted to establish a good relationship with an LDS for my life support equipment and a source of advice. They did give me a decent deal overall. But once I'm more familiar with the durability of these products, I'll feel more at ease buying them online in the future. I am placing an order today from LP for a few accessories.

jamespitt once bubbled...
definitely shop around!!

i paid us$230 for a brand new vyper from a diveshop.
i wonder why the big difference...
JP

maybe just a 'good deal?'

Scuba446 once bubbled...
This may sound ignorant, but just WHAT ARE the advantages of diving Nitrox vs Air?

Are the advantages REALLY worth having to have all my regs, tank, etc. O2 cleaned? ????
Hi Scuba 446,

The advantages are considerable.

If you opt for a Suunto and can afford a Vytec (not a vyper) go for it.

You only need to have your equipment modified and cleaned for oxygen service if you intend to use mixes richer than EAN 40. (At least in the UK.)

So you can continue to use your normal regulators and all other equipment, including your cylinders, if you never intend to use richer mixes at any time.

The problem, of course, is that most dive shops fill Nitrox cylinders by blending by the partial presure method, putting 100% oxygen into the cylinders first and then topping up with air to give, say, a 32% mix.

100% oxygen is of course greater than 40%!!

A greatly misunderstood subject and most dive shops will, of course, take your money to upgrade your equipment.

Edited (Sorry Mechdiver. We seem to have said the same thing!)

Back
Top Bottom