Suunto interface sharing between Vytec/Stinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got a new Stinger to use as backup to my Vytec.
I was using my old Vyper as backup, but it's too big for that purpose, and doesn't have a second counter in gauge mode.
(BTW, I'm trying to sell the Vyper, so PM me if you're interested.)

Anyway, I didn't want to spend another $100+ for a new interface (although I probably won't be downloading from the Stinger much) and wanted even less to have to plug/unplug two interfaces. The Stinger only had one contact, and the interface had three, so I figured the case was the ground.
I experimented downloading from the Stinger with my Vytec/Vyper/Cobra/etc. interface. I thought it wasn't working, but after a few trys and trying both ways, finally got it to work.

Looks like if I just hold it right with the correct polarity, the metal case models work fine with the Vyper/Cobra/etc. interface. It's a PITA, and takes a very steady hand, but hey, a hundred bucks is worth it. :D

Now I just wish I had seen those DIY plans for the interface before I bought my Vyper interface two years ago. ;-0

Paul,

If you check out this picture from the gallery on Roli's DIY interface page, you will see how the interface for a Stinger has to be taped to use it on a Vyper. Basically the centre pin is connected to DIO (or the water contact) and the bottom pin to ground (or the Stinger's case).

I don't know if this helps you in any way (or if you need help anyway, other than selling your Vyper :D ). Thanks for the good advice for everyone on rather getting the DIY interface though!

Cheers,

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom