Suunto Eon Stainless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishkrbibbl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Rec diver (AOW), just got re-cert after 20 yr. vacation.
Cressi Ghitto now but looking for better computer.
LDS has Eon Stainless w/Pod and looks good to 54 yr old eyes.
I understand Suunto is quality but don’t really see many around on dives.
Pricey, yes; worth it?
Anyone got experience with this one?
At that price point do I need to look at Perdix?
If price weren’t a factor where would you end up?

I would take a Shearwater Teric over an Eon any day of the week. I'm old (not quite as old as you, though ;-)) and wear reading glasses and I can read the Teric (in Standard mode, even, not even using Big mode) without reader lenses in my mask.

If not the Teric, I would take a Shearwater Perdix AI over an Eon any day of the week.

Also, search through here. I'm not convinced that Suunto quality lives up their marketing. And I pretty convinced that their customer service does not hold a candle to Shearwater's.

Also, search through here. I'm not convinced that Suunto quality lives up their marketing.
The Scubaboard bias is strong with you my friend. :)

Utter cobblers by the way :wink:

I use Both an Eon steel and a Perdix.

In comparison to the Perdix, the Eon has a way better screen display (brightness, contrast and viewing angle) It has a better build quality - the Perdix feels cheap. However if you're divign in just a rash vest then the Eon is a heavy beast.

The Perdix has a frustrating 2 button menu (one press too many and you need to go around again. The Eon has a lovely 3 button menu system an you can flip the screen to have the buttons on the left or the right (the core has them at the bottom.

Stuart will attest to the fact that it is possible (but rare) to inadvertently have the Perdix button pressed, changing things.

On both you can customise the displays to your preference, the Eon offers more variables - both are limited to the Manufacturers presets

I hate the water sensor on the Eon - we find it problematic, however asking around the issues are peculiar to us in teh Middle East (high temps, high salinity and high humidity)

Out of the 10 people I know who have one here, I'm the only one who's had a problem, my pressure sensor started acting up. No biggy it's a bit of electronics sometimes thing fail.. Suunto were very good about it.

I have 4 years/500+ dives on mine and the battery life hasn't' reduced. I'm happy with rechargeable, some prefer user changeable.

The Perdix can display 2 gasses side by side for Sidemount, the Eon (frustratingly cannot)

I've run them both hard on dive including deco (no more than 15 mins, twice using accelerated deco no more than 50m and Air/Nitrox only - no ccr nor trixmix) Their different algorithms (Perdix Buhlmann, Eon fused RGBM which is not the same as the standard RGBM found on other computers) have no difference. SOmeone will doubtless point out that if you bust through deco stops for more than 3 mins on an Eon, it will lock you out (at the surface) Never happend to me.

Also I've made dives that have all the triggers that SRGBM will peanilase you for (fast ascents, short SI saw tooth profiles etc) and teh Perdix still has similar NDL and deco on the remaining multi day repetitive dives

As Stuart rightly Points out, Shearwaters service in the US is second to none - (outside the US not so much) The Eon in the US can be a silly price - vastly more expensive than the Perdix

As for the Teric, Stuart owns one, and has given reliable reviews, I trust his opinion on it. I personally find it too small. I looked at it but the size was the decider for me - others are different

So which one to choose.

If I were diving with a tech team all using Buhlmann computers, then the Perdix (Although we're big boys here and can cross plan) If I were on big dives +50m and lots and lots of Deco, the Perdix too (I haven't' used the Eon for such dives so I'd be conservative.

Other than that, I find the Eon to be the better computer over all. My Perdix is just a backup, and given the hype from lots on here, I was underwhelmed with it, However it does have the advantage if I ever decide to put transmitters on my Sidemount rig.

In the end it comes down to money between the two, and personal preferences, with either (or the Teric) you'll be happy.

That said none of then do anything that special and a less costly computer would suffice for Recreational diving.

If you don't yet need a fully tech capable computer then hold off until you do. As shearwater have shown they do like to surprise people with a new machine every year or so, and I'd be surprised if something new wasn't around the corner (within a couple of years) with the Eon.

The Scubaboard bias is strong with you my friend. :)

Utter cobblers by the way :wink:.

I feel like I see a lot more posts of people having problems with a Suunto that of people having a problem with a Shearwater. However, I'll grant you that that could entirely be because a lot more people use Suunto computers than Shearwaters. So, my view is VERY SB biased. :)

The Teric has a really nice compass that the Perdix doesn't and I think the Eon doesn't, either. I mean that one that shows around the rim of the face.

But, if the Teric is too small for you, then it's too small. In your case, I do have to wonder if you actually did any dives with a Teric and found that it was too small in actual use, or just too small for your tastes when examined out of the water? I wear reading glasses and I can read the Teric adequately.

A point that is a big deal to me that hasn't really been addressed directly is simply the issue of not being locked into a specific manufacturer. Using a Suunto means being locked into using the Suunto software for planning. It means being locked into Suunto for a backup computer - IF you want both your computers to run the same algorithm.

Using Shearwater means I can use a variety of planning tools. I can even use 2 different planning tools and compare them. If there's a bug in one, I have a chance of catching that by using a different tool to compare. If there's a bug in the Suunto planning software, how would you ever know?

Similarly, I have been using Shearwater and a different brand as backup, but both running the same algorithm. Even Shearwater occasionally has a bug. You can look at their firmware revision history and see that easily. By using 2 different brands of computers with the same algorithm, I have a much better chance of finding out if either computer has a bug. I used a Shearwater and a Hollis TX-1 for a short time. Then Shearwater and Seabear. Now, I have changed to all Shearwater, so it's more of a risk. But, at least I can plan my dives using 2 independent applications ahead of time to make my plan. As long as I pay attention, I should catch any Shearwater errors if they are egregious enough to cause a serious problem. Can you say the same with an Eon?

Personally, I really would not care to be doing deco dives to 50m using one kind of computer then switch to a different kind of computer for deeper or more challenging dives. That seems like it's just asking for trouble. I prefer to do all my technical dives using the same computer and, especially, the same algorithm.

The Eon (Steel and Core) seems to be a fine computer. But, for anyone that aspires to technical diving, I still think a Shearwater is a better choice. Or an OSTC (if you live where they are an option). Or a Ratio iX3M.

Back
Top Bottom