Suunto depth sensor failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that a person on ScubaBoard states that they knew they had a bad batch of depth sensors is, IMO, nothing better than heresay unless confirmed by Suunto. We all know what the chances of that are, so I will go on assuming that this was not done maliciously (which yes, does happen sometimes but not as often as people might think IMO).

As for them "refusing" to fix it....I do not see that mentioned anywhere in the OP. He said the warranty approved dive shop humped to selling him a new computer...well duh - which gets them more money? They do not say that the LDS was asked and refused.

If in fact they outright refused to repair the computer (out of warranty and thus at the consumer's expense) then I wholly agree with you that that is just too odd to be acceptable. However, that is not stated anywhere here so I shall remain unwaivered in my opinion.

Your logic is very strange. When you get a warranty, it covers the product during that period for repair or replacement. In this case, Suunto refuses to REPAIR after the warranty period. So following the logic of the car, you would be prepared to scrap the car and buy a new one from the same manufacturer? I think not.

In my world, if a manufacturer is aware that a product may break, especially one as critical as this, they should be obliged to inform the consumer and then replace or repair and not wait until the warranty expires. In this case, they were aware that there were problems BEFORE the warranty expired - this is critical - and they chose not to do anything about it.

I had thought about purchasing a SUUNTO computer previously - not now.

In my world, if a manufacturer is aware that a product may break, especially one as critical as this, they should be obliged to inform the consumer and then replace or repair and not wait until the warranty expires. In this case, they were aware that there were problems BEFORE the warranty expired - this is critical - and they chose not to do anything about it.

In my world EVERY PRODUCT WILL EVENTUALLY "BREAK".

There has been speculation that Suunto was aware they had received a bad batch of depth sensors but without proof it is just that, speculation. Common sense would say that if a supplier sent them bad parts then Suunto could get the supplier to eat the cost of replacement of those parts so how do they benefit from denying it?

If Suunto isn't willing to repair your Cobra after warranty did you ask them why? Is it possible that the repair would cost more than simply purchasing a new unit?

When I purchase something that has a 24 warranty I have to ask myself if I'm happy with the expense in the event that it stops working 1 day past the expiration of the warranty.

When I purchase something that has a 24 warranty I have to ask myself if I'm happy with the expense in the event that it stops working 1 day past the expiration of the warranty.

Does your logic extend to a car too? I recently purchased a new car with a 3 year warranty. I would not be too happy if the car broke down after three years and I was stuck with car that the manufacturer would no longer service or repair?

.....that the manufacturer would no longer service or repair?

Where are you getting this? This has never been said so it does not validate your argument here.

Where are you getting this? This has never been said so it does not validate your argument here.

I guess that we have different expectations of customer service. I prefer manufacturers who choose to provide EXCELLENT customer service. If you regard your computer as disposable, with a fixed shelf life, good for you.

I guess that we have different expectations of customer service. I prefer manufacturers who choose to provide EXCELLENT customer service. If you regard your computer as disposable, with a fixed shelf life, good for you.

That is all well and good but you are not answering my question. Where did you get the information that they refused to service the product? If I missed it then I am happy to admit it.

Bottom line is, I too expect excellence from a company. However, I know and understand the limitation of purchased product and services and what companies do to save money. Nothing last forever and we all know that timed obsolescence has been worked on very shrewdly by many companies. To enter into ANY transaction completely oblivious of the fact that things break and fail, is just ridiculous. Understand the company's obligations and accept them before you buy. That is the only way you will be a happy consumer in the end.

I have no dog in this fight....I could care less what computer you dive or what car you drive. I just know that if you expect everything to go as you want all the time, every time, then life is gonna be a terrible disappointment.

Does your logic extend to a car too? I recently purchased a new car with a 3 year warranty. I would not be too happy if the car broke down after three years and I was stuck with car that the manufacturer would no longer service or repair?

My car has a 6 year warranty. I expect that after that time I will be responsible for all repairs. If I take it in for service and the cost to service it exceeds the value of the vehicle then I would expect them to tell me.

You really can't compare a $700 Dive Computer to a $28,000 SUV in all fairness.

After 3 years that $700 Dive Computer will only be worth $200 - $300, do you really want the manufacturer to offer to fix it for $250 when you can get another one without a problem for that?

After 6 years the $28,000 SUV is still worth $7,000 - $10,000. Unless you haven't been keeping up on the maintenance chances are slim that you'll end-up with a repair bill in excess of the value.

My car has a 6 year warranty. I expect that after that time I will be responsible for all repairs. If I take it in for service and the cost to service it exceeds the value of the vehicle then I would expect them to tell me.

You really can't compare a $700 Dive Computer to a $28,000 SUV in all fairness.

After 3 years that $700 Dive Computer will only be worth $200 - $300, do you really want the manufacturer to offer to fix it for $250 when you can get another one without a problem for that?

After 6 years the $28,000 SUV is still worth $7,000 - $10,000. Unless you haven't been keeping up on the maintenance chances are slim that you'll end-up with a repair bill in excess of the value.

This is ridiculous. According to you, warranty expectation is value dependent. What nonsense. Following your logic, your house will then outweigh your car, so simply toss your car out after warranty expiry because your house costs more. What a joke.

I just sent in a Cobra for faulty depth sensor. Still haven't heard anything back as to whether it will be repaired, replaced, or if they will offer me a credit as they did with you.

Back
Top Bottom