Suunto depth sensor failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I just sent in a Cobra 2 that has a bad depth sensor. Suunto's response was that I could pay them $411.00 for the fix which was to upgrade to a Cobra 3 module. They can not fix them because they outsource the manufacturing of their crap to other countries. If they made it, they would be able to get in there and fix it, plain and simple. I let them know just how I felt about their style of customer service. Furthermore, I also told them my family has 5 Suunto computers and that as they fail or peter out, I will be replacing them with other than Suunto computers and now my daughters Gekko has failed this past weekend. The depth sensor read 0 when we reached 30 feet. Maybe Suunto wants out of the dive computer business and the best way to do that is to chase all the customers away with "screw you" type customer service for their bad product....

They can not fix them because they outsource the manufacturing of their crap to other countries. If they made it, they would be able to get in there and fix it, plain and simple.

They cannot fix them because it is a sealed unit, it is not possible to open it without damaging the unit. You can only change battery.

you are implying that it is a disposable dive computer. If it was under warranty they would "REPAIR" it as many have had done. They just don't want to be bothered with any repairs because it is more profitable to just gouge your pocket as deep as they can for a new module.They are in business to make money, not get a customer taken care of for as little as possible.

$411 for a $750 computer is something.

I will just add a bit more to it and get a better computer. I got a bad taste in my mouth right now about Suunto computers as I said my daughters Gekko just took a dump too. There are 3 more Suuntos dive computers in my house, maybe they will all dump before summer is all the way here.

Last edited:
Understandable. We are similarly situated. All suuntos. My first, the Gekko, still going strong. Zoop was next. Just replaced for $150 for Zoop Novo as the sensors went. Customer service was excellent and I thought the below market price for the upgrade was fair. Not happy about it failing. Purchased a Vyper next, new but discontinued model at LP. Worked fine but the temp readings were way off. Sent back under warranty and replaced in less than two weeks. All cost covered by Suunto. Not happy about the problem either but service was excellent. So far so good. Not yet soured on Suunto but primarily bc of the customer service. If another fails soon I may change my mind.

Funny thing is my old solution is still going strong which I bought back in like 1989 or 90 but its air only, no Nitrox. I bring it along on Nitrox dives just to see what it does when I exceed the NDL for air. Even back in 89 or 90 it was like $600. at least for me in the public servant profession money don't grow on trees.

My older back still going strong as well: my watch, depth gauge and plastic tables.

you are implying that it is a disposable dive computer. If it was under warranty they would "REPAIR" it as many have had done. They just don't want to be bothered with any repairs because it is more profitable to just gouge your pocket as deep as they can for a new module.They are in business to make money, not get a customer taken care of for as little as possible.

I do not imply anything, I say it as is. The Cobra (at least the first model) has a sealed module inside the outer shell, the only thing you can do without breaking the shell of the module is to replace the battery. I have two of those myself, you cannot take them apart without damaging it.

They do not repair it, the swap the entire module.

Just in case anyone thinks that the depth sensor issue is a thing of the past, my LDS has had most of their entire Zoop Novo rental fleet go bad. They all display HWERROR:009 eventually.

18 computers in less than year!

There is no SUUNTO service center either. They have to be sent back to a level 3 LDS for replacement. SUUNTO outsources service to qualified LDSes. Besides a bunch of sales and marketing puffheads, they have minimal to no technical presence in the US.

I met with SUUNTO at DEMA and they refuse to acknowledge that they even have a production issue! Head in sand logic hard at work.

Back
Top Bottom