Suunto D9tx Strap Improvement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using the elastomer strap on the D6 and although I have managed to break a strap I think that was just me being heavy handed. Been using the same strap for a year now and have learned from my previous mistake and have had not one problem since. Hope this is useful guys as I know you have been talking about the D9.

I have been using the elastomer strap on the D6 and although I have managed to break a strap I think that was just me being heavy handed. Been using the same strap for a year now and have learned from my previous mistake and have had not one problem since. Hope this is useful guys as I know you have been talking about the D9.

Ah okay, yeah man thanks for the input! Are you referring to the original D6 strap band? or the new D6i band? If your talking about the new d6i band, do you have any previous experience with the older d6 band? Im assuming they are very similar to the d9 design.

Ok, I guess if no one else will actually answer this question, I'll do it.

First off there is (According to the Suunto rep here) a significant improvement over the old straps in the New D9.
I myself have one of the new straps, and yes they are a different material, more flexible, and more like a Silicone material.

When I had my first prototypes of the Tibby Adapters, I got a "Snotty" well they have improved the new strap anyway comment from the head of the repair department.
So According to them, yes it's different
(better, we will have to see wont we)

As for the Titanium bands, other than they are too expensive, they also have an inherent problem with the construction.
I had one of the old stingers that was titanium, and after about a year or so it just fell apart.
When they replaced it, I asked how it happened, and was told that since the links are made from sheet stock, not a solid link, the hinge pins are still stainless steel, and the titanium ends up cutting through the pins.

They have a brilliant new design on the D9 attachment for the band, it's almost impossible to copy.
Unless I can do a run of injection molding for the end links (and they would have to have a steel or titanium insert in the mold, not so easy I tell you)
That will all depend on how many of the Original D9's and D6 adapters people buy.
if they sell well, I will be trying to make them for not only the older models, but the D9i and the D4i as well.

Last but not least, Nitrox is a Mixed gas, and it wouldn't make sense to add a "Nitrox" category to the watches that are supposedly capable of doing trimix.
Dont quote me on the trimix mode though, I haven't really looked at anything other than the attachment system for the band on that model.

I hope this answers the question.

Cheers all
Duke

Excellent! Thanks for all of the information. That was exactly what I was looking for. Good info on the new strap. Unfortunately, at this point I have decided against the D9tx. The shop i ordered it through actually shipped in the wrong model and after I was so unsure about the band and everything i decided to order a Galileo Luna that i got at a good price (gonna be here today actually). I was just afraid to take the risk on a new D9tx with the lack of reviews on the new model and the poor reviews of the new software so i decided to go with the tested and true Luna. Thanks for all of the info though! Still good info i will be sure to pass around and help out other fellow divers =D

Because of these forums, I have been desperately trying to find a Ti strap...but with that said, I have the D9tx, and have absolutely no issues with the rubber strap. It is good quality, and a lot better than the old D models in construction of the band. I have been on over 100 dives with it, and have yet to worry about ripping the strap. I actually wear it on a daily basis, even when I'm not in the water...(Too cheap to buy another watch, and couldn't financially justify it either...)

But I promise you all that IF it does fail, I will be the first on SB to warn everyone else!

Because of these forums, I have been desperately trying to find a Ti strap...but with that said, I have the D9tx, and have absolutely no issues with the rubber strap. It is good quality, and a lot better than the old D models in construction of the band. I have been on over 100 dives with it, and have yet to worry about ripping the strap. I actually wear it on a daily basis, even when I'm not in the water...(Too cheap to buy another watch, and couldn't financially justify it either...)

But I promise you all that IF it does fail, I will be the first on SB to warn everyone else!

I've just tried a D9tx - distinctly unimpressed by the strap so the fact that it has done 100+ dives is reassuring - but it really is thin and I was worried about doing it up on the model I tried in case I pulled too hard and it snapped! It is softer than the D9 strap, so perhaps this means it can take more stretching and bending, but compared to my OC1 strap and given that this is an £800 computer if you pay RRP, and that computers take a beating if you work in the diving game, they really should be equipping one of their top end models with something better than this. Cheap and nasty was my overall impression - shame, because the computer itself is impressive.

I've just tried a D9tx - distinctly unimpressed by the strap so the fact that it has done 100+ dives is reassuring - but it really is thin and I was worried about doing it up on the model I tried in case I pulled too hard and it snapped! It is softer than the D9 strap, so perhaps this means it can take more stretching and bending, but compared to my OC1 strap and given that this is an £800 computer if you pay RRP, and that computers take a beating if you work in the diving game, they really should be equipping one of their top end models with something better than this. Cheap and nasty was my overall impression - shame, because the computer itself is impressive.

For what its worth I've just had a look at the titanium strap version of the D9tx. I was thinking of buying it, but not now - the two lugs that hold the strap catch mechanism in place (i.e. keep the computer on your wrist) are frighteningly tiny and any loss of 'springiness' in the bars that locate these lugs means the lugs are likely to disengage and the strap undo - I've heard this reported elsewhere so it does happen after use, but I didn't believe that a top end dive computer could come with such an insecure strap - until I saw it with my own eyes! I was under the impression that the titanium strap would offer greater security than the elastomer straps - I'm not convinced now.

Had they equipped the catch with the sort of additional security clip that most normal dive watches (i.e. not computers) come equipped with then I wouldn't be worried, but I would not want to trust this strap for long term use - unless I wasn't using it for diving, which rather defeats the object! I really do wonder what Suunto are playing at sometimes - surely it's not difficult to design and build a decent watch strap that befits their decent computers and holds the things securely on the users wrist?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom