Suunto D9tx Strap Improvement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't even bother getting a Suunto replacement for your D9.

Just head straight to the Tibby Adapters site that was mentioned earlier. It's a definite improvement over what Suunto offers. And you definitely get the piece of mind knowing what you have will will be on your wrist when you finish your dive. That's probably the best thing about it. Plus, the adapters with the strap add a really cool look to your watch. And much more comfortable as well.

I have yet to set eyes on a D9tx, my I sincerely hope they improved the strap. I have an old D9, and both the titanium strap and the rubber strap that I got with it had broken within two years. And a replacement strap is about US$45 for the rubber, or about US$195 for titanium. A rather serious blot on an otherwise excellent computer.

I have the D9 with the TI band. Was diving in Utila getting back on boat and the strap came loose. The d9 went 103 feet to the bottom. I was able to dive and recover it. Not the smartest thing in the world to watch $1400 going down. I would like to know if anybody else has had this problem and is there a solution?

I have the D9 with the TI band. Was diving in Utila getting back on boat and the strap came loose. The d9 went 103 feet to the bottom. I was able to dive and recover it. Not the smartest thing in the world to watch $1400 going down. I would like to know if anybody else has had this problem and is there a solution?

Gotcha. So apparently the Ti band is not any better than the rubber band. I have read from several places that the original d9 has serious band issues. Glad to know you had issues with the Ti as well, ill be sure not to make the upgrade to the Ti band.

Still not sure if the new TX has an upgraded band... Anyone know?

That was happened to mine, but I was still on the boat getting geared up when it just fell off and dropped to the floor. I just kept it in my pocket for the remainder of of that dive trip. The strap got sent off to Suunto when I got back, and a few months later I got it back, no explanation, no fee either. I used the rubber strap after that, but zip-tied to the console since it wouldn't fit over my 7mm wetsuit and gloves (neither would the Ti strap either) and when I got the Ti strap back, I'd read about people making the D9 work with bungees. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Then I read about other people having problems as well. And read about the Tibby Adapter, and knew that's what I needed. The bungee worked great in the cold waters of Canada, but there was no way I was going to do that in the Caribbean, and I didn't trust the Ti strap now. When the D9 Tibby Adapter got released to the public, I was first in line for it since I had a trip coming up in a few weeks. Now that I got it, I know it's definitely secured to my wrist, it's nice to know I'm not going to be out a large chunk of money because of a defective strap.

Not sure if the TX has a better band, it is a different band, but from the sound of it, it has the same problem, 2 different materials making up the strap. Bison Ravi posted some pics earlier in the thread, and mentioned about the links and pins being different materials.

With the D9 that seems to be the problem.

Gotcha. So apparently the Ti band is not any better than the rubber band. I have read from several places that the original d9 has serious band issues. Glad to know you had issues with the Ti as well, ill be sure not to make the upgrade to the Ti band.

Still not sure if the new TX has an upgraded band... Anyone know?

Ah okay. This is really beginning to worry me. I guess i will just be ordering a tubby adapter when they release a fit for the TX model.

Another thing that has come up and is severely worrying me is chart i ran across comparing the new "d-line" models. It appears the D9tx no longer supports free dive mode NOR nitrox? Is this for real? In the attached chart you can clearly see that it does not support nitrox. I purchased the d9tx thinking it would have everything i need and then some, but I'm worried maybe the tx model has become a tech diving only computer, and I'm no tech diver so this may be an issue for me.

Anyone have any info on this? Will this support regular diving and nitrox modes? Thats all i will be diving.

j5fqk3.png

I realize that my last question may have seemed a little odd since Nitrox is a mixed gas, but this is why it concerns me...

a4o0u1.png

That picture is from suuntos site and it appears that the computer offers no support for nitrox only dives. or would it just be classified under mixed gas only?

Just a bit confused.

Just wanted to add that i found the solution to my previous problem. This was posted on the Suunto question/answer board on their site. Although it appears from my previous pics that the d9tx does not support Nitrox they answer that it does. Perhaps it just does not have a dedicated nitrox setting? Either way, it is nitrox capable. Here is the pic.

24grc6w.png

I'm sure you could always program it as mixed gas, with Oxygen comprising 32%, Nitrogen comprising 68%, and Helium 0%. Just the same as how I always dive my D9 in Nitrox mode as 21% Nitrox when using air.

Not sure how accurate the TX is for values less than 1%, but 32/68/0 should be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom