Suunto D9 operation while on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hiredweapon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
During a recent dive, my Suunto D9 operated strangely.

In the center part of the screen where normally the "NO DEC TIME" is displayed, instead there was a time counter, counting upwards.

hitting any buttons, or combination of buttons did not return the display to the "NO DEC TIME" display.

Any idea why this display was on? How would I get it to display the very important "NO DEC TIME" display.

(see mockup images of my D9 display)

D9_display.jpg

hiredweapon,

I believe that you may have had your D9 in "Gauge" mode instead of "Ean" or Air" mode. Gauge mode is ment to be only a bottom timer, which is why your D9 did not display your no decompression time.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Something similiar happened to our 2 D4's a year ago....Everybody told us we must have set them in gauge mode, or not paying attention to deco, up/down speed etc... No way that can happen to two divers at the exactly same time......we usually differs a bit in depth etc. and both D4's displays was ok thecfirst part of the dive... Maybe just a coincidence....but a year before thar both went out of battery also on the same dive,even if we had changed batteries at different months:)
Theyve been ok since then, but I now have an old,never used Suunto as backup....(bought cheep, old model):)

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

hello Chris, thanks for your rely.

How would my D9 have been set to gauge mode?

On my dive, as usual, I merely strapped on my D9 and descended, never setting or changing anything.
After I discovered it in this strange mode, any attempt to change the mode underwater was unsuccessful.

How would I change it to "Ean" or "Air" mode from "Gauge" mode while underwater on a dive?

As I said in the other thread a copy of the download file would help find out what is going on.

hiredweapon,

It is actually a common mistake that I have encountered a number of times with consumers. Placing your computer in gauge mode can be done simply by pressing the upper right mode button once while in time mode, which will move your computer into dive mode. As soon as your computer moves from time mode to dive mode, pushing either the lower left down button or lower right up button will move your computer through the sub dive menus (Air, Ean, Gauge, Off). If the computer is accidentally moved to gauge mode, once entering the water and descending down more than 4 ft you will no longer be able to change the dive mode. By downloading your computer to the Suunto Dive Manger, you would be able to tell what dive mode your computer was in during the dive that this issue occured.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

thanks Chris, this makes sense. I will link to my dive when I get a chance to download from my D9.

All, Im having exactly the same problem, and I fully understand the Gauge status situation, however, for some odd reason, I only have “gauge” and “off” options in the dive menu, Ive always had “air” and “ean”%, how do I get them back?? Im diving again in abou! 6 hours... Ive had this computer for over 6 years and over 100 dives and this has never happened, very frustrating, much appreciated if anyone can help with this.

Thanks
Eduardo

Back
Top Bottom