Suunto D6 battery change "How To"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Lyn,

As far as I'm aware it's not a standard O'ring that you can put a code too and walk into a shop and buy.

I took a D6 and a Stinger O'ring into a local "O'rings-R-Us" store and using a micrometer they measured the O'ring and couldn't match it. The nearest they had was only about 1mm out and it didn't fit.

You need the proper O'ring / battery kit from Suunto which matches your watch and Suunto only sell to dealers. I have seen someone on eBay selling them recently.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul. I've also seen these kits on ebay. I'll try to grab one.

What kind of silicon that must be used ?

There are many species such as spray and the type used in plumbing

Can you put some pictures .

Thank you

You don't use any silicon on the O'ring for the Suunto D6 or Stinger.

On my last 2 dives, my D6 displayed the low battery sign (although only intermittently - I think it was the slightly cold water).

However, I'm going on a liveaboard later this week. Is the D6 likely to hold up for another 20 dives?

It hasn't displayed the "Replace Battery" sign yet, and it's not displaying the low battery sign out of the water.

Thanks.

From previous experience they tend to fail pretty quickly when the low battery warning comes up, warm water will make it last longer but personally I would change it before you go.

Guys,
Thanks for this great thread. I just bought a D6 off e-bay (I know what a stingy Scotsman!) and will get the batter changed. £69 in UK for change ($105) seemed steep
Brilliant guide from Brett and very generous to get back to so many of us.
Thanks dude
Ally

Another big thank you to Leisure Pro Brett! It was cool to save some cash and change the battery myself! It went very easily! Interesting to note that Brett reccomends the use of silicone for the O ring and others say no. I went with Brett and used some O ring lube I got from Scuba Toys.

Steve

I bought the $10 self change kit off of ebay and I followed the steps carefully on this thread. The only thing I did not do was pressure test the d4. I guess this was the fatal mistake because my d4 went haywire half way through one of my dives in Raja Ampat and has not returned to normal. I placed it in the sun to see if it the display showed fogging, and sadly it did. The computer worked fine for about 15 dives after the battery change with no signs of malfunctioning or fogging, then out of nowhere it just went wacky. So I guess be careful and have it pressure tested first. :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom