Suunto D 6 - 50% RGBM and/or Deepstop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cabbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've done a quick search, but have not found the answer(s) I'm looking for.

I've read the manual for the Suunto D6 and know how to set the Deepstop and how the change the RGBM to 50%. BUT:

For recreational diving (multiday/multilevel) are changes to either of these necessary or desireable ?

On the last weekend liveaboard I did, my D6 went into deco when the DM still had at least 7 mins left (I think he was diving with a UWATEC). This was on the fifth dive of the weekend and we had very similar profiles on all previous dives. One diver on the boat said he'd set the RGBM to 50% on his D6 as it "kept chasing him up".

I've very happily been diving with my Mosquito for about 6 years and had not once gone into deco. It was usually enough to ascend a little and the time would be given back. Not so on the D6.

Would things be different if I have the Deepstop set and leave the RGBM at 100% ? (I'm not comfortable changing it without more information and am seeing what I can find out from all available sources).

Thanks in advance !

RGBM 50 is the alogarithim the Mosquito uses ( or at least Very close to it ). It won't hurt you. Deep stops are a good idea, if for no other reason than simply because they slow the acsent rate.

It has more to do with "fast tissue" than ascent rate... Cabbie, if you understand how offgassing theory works with the various tissue types then you can answer the deep-stop "necessity" question yourself. It can make the difference between a Type I or Type II hit or no hit at all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom