Suunto Cobra: seeking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Way!! That is exactly what mine did. (Wait until my dive shop here's about this one...they hadn't heard of a Cobra doing that before.) As soon as I got about 5ft under it just said 'plan' and no matter what I did it didn't work. As soon as I returned from my trip, I took it to my LDS and they took the battery out for a minute or so, put it back in, took it through a series of test dives there at the shop and reported it worked fine. I'll be going out again with it next week so we'll see how it performs for me.:wink:

How long had you had it before it did this? How many dives did you have logged in it? Mine was brand-spankin' new and had only the dives from the previous day on it (6). Regardless I'd still stay with Suunto though.

bengiddins once bubbled...
Funny, the recent Vytec recall was because of a SimPlan error - the Vytec's plan mode.
I own a Vytec, and LOVE it! :D
The recall was from this:
A) be in Nitrox mode
B) be in dive simplan
C) hold down the smart button for 2+ seconds
This then causes the Simplan function to not work properly.
Someone had to be really bored to figure this one out
:rolleyes:

If you can afford the Vytec, then I support it, but if not, the Cobra is a really nice computer also.....I have played with both.

SeaOtter once bubbled...
How long had you had it before it did this? How many dives did you have logged in it? Mine was brand-spankin' new and had only the dives from the previous day on it (6). Regardless I'd still stay with Suunto though.
Heya,

Yeah I'm still absolutely a Suunto supporter, because apart from this one incident, everything I've owned of theirs (2 computers and 2 compasses) has worked flawlessly, as have all the computers owned by my various diving friends. In fact the news that mine (and yours) malfunctioned is normally received with such dubious disbelief that it says heaps about their reputation.

Anyway as to your questions - I bought it in Feb 2001, did about 20 dives before that happened in end-April 2001. Had been diving for about 3? days on it on that trip before it happened at the last (night) dive of the 3rd day. It's been a while so I'm not sure if I had been futzing around with the buttons and SimPlan mode, as bengiddins suggested. I have to say it's not like Suunto to incorporate a known problem into their new product without first remedying it.

Anyway... I'm still using the same ol' Cobra and foresee doing so for a long time, until it physically gives up on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom