SUUNTO Cobra Issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by bluebanded goby
To respond to one question posed a while back on this thread ...

I've owned a Suunto Cobra dive computer for the past six months, but like a lot of people I've found the cost of the PC interface (~$150) very pricey. Looking around on the web I found several sites with schematics by which you can build your own for about $10 or less in parts. I picked one design I liked the best, lashed it together in an evening, and then used it in conjunction with Suunto's Dive Manager software that they give away for free at their web site. Voila, I saved myself $150 and can now graph my dives and replay them moment by scintillating moment.

I should also note that, while I'm not an electronics professional, I've been building kits like shortwave radios for many years and am comfortable around a soldering iron. The Suunto computers seem to be reasonably tolerant of minor hiccups like reversed polarity on the interface contacts, but proceed at your own risk and only if you are comfortable putting a circuit together.

Interesting, which version did you end up going with? The veroboard or PCB version? I've thought about doing this myself, but I'm hesitant at the possibility of frying my Cobra.

Where can I buy a cobra online at a good price with all the manufacturers warranties and all that good stuff?

bio guy:
OK, here is a question.

I was just on the suunto site doing computer comparisons, and according to the suunto site, the vyper and cobra can be user selected between metric and imperial. I have looked through my computer and even dug out the manual, but I couldn't find any reference to doing this change. I am interested in being able to change back and forth (vyper).

Did I miss something obvious all this time, or does anyone know how to select between the two? (If it is even possible)

you can also change it using suunto's dive manager (I use v1.6)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom