SUUNTO Cobra Issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took my brand new cobra to cayman brac, it seems accurate but after 15 dives it started leaking air from computer/hose conection. Have not had a chance to have it serviced it yet.
Also it seems a little difficult to review dive log.
mike

Appreciate the info--were you able to see exactly where the leak was and did it affect accuracy? Also, what made the dive log difficult to review? As an aside, from the back of the user's manual, it looks like disassembling the computer casing with a phillips head screwdriver isn't beyond the normal user's capabilities which should give access to the hose connection if that was where it was leaking.

The leak seems to have come from a bad 0 ring.
My old computer was a us diver, and it was just a matter of touching the two contacts to review the log. The cobra has a lot more fuctions which is nice, but a little more work to go thru all your old dives. I was just being lazy, but an getting used to it now.

Regards,
Mike

hey guys,

i've been through 2 vypers now (passed one to my cousin who didn't have a computer) and i was wondering how "pressable" are the buttons?

on my 1st vyper, the buttons did not move at all when depressed but it worked absolutely fine. on my 2nd vyper, i could perceptibly feel the buttons move up and down when depressed and it worked fine too.

the reason why i am asking this is because i am concerned that water might leak into the 2nd vyper since there is a greater range of movement with the buttons.

what's your experience on your cobra or vyper?

tomcat

Hey Tomcat

My vyper buttons do go down when they are pushed, but tend to activate the features before they bottom out. In other words, not much force is needed. The other vypers I looked at before purchasing mine were the same way. It was normal for the vypers I have been exposed to, but you could check with your dealer or email suunto if you are concerned......

Cheers

Hey all,
The problem lies both in the "purity" of the water and the way the Cobra (as well as other computers) calibrate themselves. You see, when first immersed, the Cobra calibrates itself to what it "thinks" is surface pressure when it is FIRST turned on. However, "pure" water (sans ions) or a quick & deep plunge into the water will fool any computer as to what surface pressure actually is. That is, it initializes after submersion. Unfortunately, it is not the actual depth that is upset, but the pressure differential (which is FAR bigger) between the surface and the point it finally turned on that is bogus. Consequently, the depth is off by a percentage (not just two feet or so) and the error seems to grow with the depth. The fix is to turn your computer on BEFORE you plummet beneath the waves, so that you establish the actual ambient atmospheric pressure. This is how the computer can figure out high altitude dives (only in reverse) and also accomodate for barometric swings. So to eliminate error... turn on your Cobra BEFORE you get into the water.

NetDoc, that seems reasonable to me. And perhaps that's why I've yet to have trouble with my Cobra. I always turn it on to check the tank pressure before I ever turn on the air. Usually it deactivates itself before I'm ready to dive, so I also turn it back on right before I take the plunge. The automatic deactivate may save batteries, but it's nagging as hell. What I can't understand is why Suunto would put automatic activation on the computers if using it can interfere with the data.

Hey Warhammer,
I agree with you %1000!!! If the guage were to stay live while there was pressure to it, then it would be cool. I can't think of too much time passing while it would sit pressurized and on... while I am waiting for my next dive. The REASON they do it this way, is 1) making the computer responsive to barometric anomalies and high altitude, and 2) for those bozos (like me sometimes) who forget to turn on their computer. 3) to conserve batteries. The problem with making things idiot proof is that us idiots can be so creative. However... if you hit the waves, and then surface and reset the computer, you also do the same thing. However, I like to set it all up as a Nitrox dive minutes before I get wet. It gives me pause to review my upcoming dive, and just how much time I will get down below. Till they get the rest of their act together, I will remember to 1) turn on my Cobra BEFORE I plunge, and 2) fasten my weight belt too... ;-) (cwap, I forgot to turn on that air...)
Pete in Orlando

OK, here is a question.

I was just on the suunto site doing computer comparisons, and according to the suunto site, the vyper and cobra can be user selected between metric and imperial. I have looked through my computer and even dug out the manual, but I couldn't find any reference to doing this change. I am interested in being able to change back and forth (vyper).

Did I miss something obvious all this time, or does anyone know how to select between the two? (If it is even possible)

Hey Bio Guy,
Relax, it's not that hard... first turn it on. press <mode> it should say "3 mode"... press <plan>... it should say "set" ...press <mode>it should say "3 Set" press... <plan>... it should say "set pref"... press <mode>... it should say "3 pref"... press <plan> twice... it should say "units"... press <mode>... the current mode will appear, plan or time will cycle through imperial or metric... just hit select several times when you are finished... save these instructions... ;-)

Pete in Orlando

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom