Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaws is right. Tons of these wonderful but innocent predators will be caught before the culprit is found. My condolences to the German lady and family.
I wonder if it is like the alligators that lose their fear of man, and associate man with food (ie the feeding of these fish by the tourists). It usually results in the death of the alligator.

Somethings different. You can't have four separate shark attacks in one week and it be coincidence.

Allegedly different sharks as well, or is this not confirmed?

Isnt´t it true that there is a ship going to Jordan with livestock on a regular basis? I have heard that they throw dead animals over board to dispose of them. If it is the case that the shark(s) were feeding on dead sheep (or other animals) that were dropped over board from this vessel, they will associate everything that has the right size and floats on the surface with food!
If one or more of these sharks would approach the Sharm coast they could indeed pose a danger to swimmers and snorkelers. I wonder, if there is a connection...

Sky News just reported that those who watched did nothing to help.
The lady was screaming for 5 minutes, and they they just let her body "drift" onto the reef...

Nothing like creating panic and fear...
I know this is just "reporting" by the news organizations....

Well, it's unfortunately true. It took place today at around 1:00 PM at one of the gardens (I believe it's the Far Garden). I was in the water in Naama Bay a couple of kilometers south of the accident's place on a tech warm-up dive and got the info as soon as I surfaced.

Tomorrow all diving and water sport activities are suspended in Sharm El Sheikh beaches and coasts, including Ras Mohamed National Park. Exploratory dives are supposed to be conducted.

I have started a new thread because this one has gotten silly with the human trafficking thing. I would also like to point out I am not Egyptian, and this problem is worldwide, not just in Sharm. Please desist and get back on topic.

Cheers,

C.

I wonder if it is like the alligators that lose their fear of man, and associate man with food (ie the feeding of these fish by the tourists). It usually results in the death of the alligator.
Gators, bears, deer, chipmunks, etc. As discussed earlier in this thread I think, some of the snorkelers ignore rules against feeding. If your goodies from the buffet line attract a horde of small fishes around you, the shark's instinct may be to test bite the large thing in the middle of the horde.
Isnt´t it true that there is a ship going to Jordan with livestock on a regular basis? I have heard that they throw dead animals over board to dispose of them. If it is the case that the shark(s) were feeding on dead sheep (or other animals) that were dropped over board from this vessel, they will associate everything that has the right size and floats on the surface with food!
If one or more of these sharks would approach the Sharm coast they could indeed pose a danger to swimmers and snorkelers. I wonder, if there is a connection...
Mentioned above....
It seems this story would be related, altho maybe not accurate...?
Egypt Shark Attack Prompted by Dead Sheep? | World | Epoch Times

Since it's clear they didn't catch the killer shark first time around, let's hope this attack was by the same shark and this time they do catch it. I can't believe all sharks have just declared open season on humans, I'm sure it's just one aberration. Pretty horrible though.

Back
Top Bottom