Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've started a separate thread on what I believe to be good information - but to address some points:

- Russian prostitutes in sharm - yes, they are here - prostitution exists in pretty much every country on the planet - what the heck has this got to do with shark attacks?

- There is no american military here - but there is a contingent of
"multinational forces and observers" - the MFO - which is comprised of twelve different nations, not just americans: Australia, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, Fiji, France, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, US and Uruguayan troops are stationed here

What this has to do with shark attacks I have no idea - please get back on topic.

- the phenomena of killing sharks after a shark attacks applies worldwide - australia and america are prime examples Are they backward also? For sure - there will be a bunch of egyptians trying to find sharks to impress the authorities but action is being taken. I do not agree with all of the regulatory body here, and I know what goes on - but the liveaboards responsible for the death in the southern red sea last year are still not working and their skippers are being prosecuted. HEPCA and the CDWS - whilst me may have opinions on both - are to a large extent responsible for capturing the Yemeni shark fishing fleet that was operating in the southern red sea earlier in the year. Some people actually really are trying to make a difference.

plink plink

C.

Well said Crowley
:diver::drunks:

Ahram Online - Government?s response to shark attack is wrong, say experts

There are some dive Ops around Playa del Carmen Mexico that are chumming for shark dives. Many of were dreading the first attack, but a fisherman took out 9 sharks in one day - apparently because they associated the boats with food. There is a push to protect the sharks, but if a tourist gets attacked, that'll be forgotten.

- Russian prostitutes in sharm - yes, they are here - prostitution exists in pretty much every country on the planet - what the heck has this got to do with shark attacks?

No, sir. Human trafficking, not simply prostitution. There is a HUGE difference. Human trafficking for the purposes of prostitution is rampant in Sharm - even though Egypt has adopted laws to stop trafficking of women and children.

Your government has more "teeth", as some say, about capturing and killing sharks randomly than abiding by laws to protect human victims. Why? The MFO peacekeeper we spoke to said that the government and entire Sharm infrastructure benefits from it. I imagine it's just like if the tourists stop coming to snorkel and dive because of a rogue shark. You wanted some excitement in Sharm. Create a fuss about the human trafficking. It affects a lot more people than one or two rogue sharks.

You brought it up again. It had died a quiet death. :wink:

Except human trafficing dont affect me even the slightest, while a rogue shark might very well :wink:

That said I dont support human trafficing in any way, shape or form, but its completely offtopic and has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand, nor does the international observers thats stationed there.

Let it go and focus on the problem this thread is about; the current shark attacks that has happened and whats being done with regards to it.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/12/05/world/middleeast/AP-ML-Egypt-Shark-Attack.html?hp

El-Arish, Egypt (AP) — Security officials say a shark has killed an elderly German tourist at an Egyptian Red Sea resort, a few days after three Russians and a Ukrainian tourist were badly mauled in shark attacks.

The officials say the tourist died immediately after her arm was cut off by the shark while she was swimming off Sharm el-Sheikh, a renowned diving and vacation resort.

After last week's attacks by oceanic white tip sharks, authorities ordered people to stay out of the water around Sharm el-Sheikh.

On Thursday, the Environment Ministry said two sharks suspected of mauling the four tourists were caught.

translated in english according to google

Predatory shark kills German tourist in Sharm el-Sheikh
Gate-Ahram |
5/12/2010 2:00:17 PM
Comments
|
|

Al-Ahram that the gate of a German tourist was killed a short while ago in Sharm el-Sheikh, following the attack of predatory shark in the area Medill Garden, opposite the Hotel Regency life.

Poor woman and my heart goes out to her family.

I also fear what this will mean for the shark population of the Red Sea.

It'll be Jaws all over again.

Any indications what's causing this activity all of a sudden?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom