Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want her to go thru counseling? I'm sure it's just a matter of time before she is brought in and hung up for pics. It'll be good for business.

The authorities have ordered that no more sharks be caught and killed. My colleagues and I initially felt that this shark should indeed be caught and killed - I think we are all pretty much unanimous in changing our minds about this. The experts who came to visit have all but dismissed the rogue shark theory and well - it's difficult to decide either way, really.

Various organisations are watching apart from the local authorities. It's a case where it is not possible to please all parties. If the shark is slaughtered there will be condemnation from some, and if it keeps frightening away the tourists there will be complaints from others. It's a lose-lose situation unfortunately.

It is probably best for business to see her hung up on a pole somewhere, but now that the initial furore has died down, I am feeling a little sorry for her.

Cheers

C.

Last edited:
Just a semi-qualified guess, here but given that most (atleast pelagic) sharks like a bit cooler water, is it likely that this/these "just goes away" when the water get hotter or is it/they likely to just stay along for a vacation?

I received this newsletter today from HEPCA:-

Contrary to what everybody has been led to believe by South Sinai authorities, the random and indiscriminate killing of sharks continues in the wake of 5 attacks on swimmers off Sharm El Sheikh. The very people entrusted with the protection of this part of the Red Sea are now removing its top predators without any control or logical reason.

Not only is this a violation of Egyptian laws clearly prohibited the catching, killing and trading of sharks since 2006, but is also risking major damage to an ecosystem that is already suffering from overfishing, physical destruction, habitat degradation and pollution.

It is shocking to see how readily the progress in environmental awareness and understanding of the last two decades has been thrown overboard, being replaced with nothing but ignorance. How does a chain of unusual accidents give anybody the right to rage war on sharks as a whole? What can possibly be achieved by taking these insane measures?

A shark-free Red Sea is not an option!

Sharks are an integral part of every functional marine ecosystem. Their worldwide depletion has already had catastrophic impacts on a variety of marine habitats, including coral reefs. We need to live alongside sharks and with the minimal risk that comes with entering the sea. Sharks are not the only marine creatures that can potentially harm a human being. None of these potentially harmful creatures; sea urchins, sharks, stonefish, and other venomous organisms alike, has any interest in doing so. Only deviations from their natural behavior, most probably caused by humans themselves, can cause unfortunate and rare events such as the unprecedented number and type of shark incidents we have seen off the beaches of Sharm el Sheikh recently.

Wiping out the local shark populations is the worst possible response and needs to be stopped immediately! We hope that the Marine Oceanography Institute of Alexandria and the National Park Authorities of Ras Mohamaed come to their senses and stop this lunacy. They should consider this an ultimatum and last warning before criminal charges are filed against any individuals involved in illegal shark fishing activities.

We urge both the minister of environment and minister of higher education to intervene and stop this irresponsible act.

I just read the same article. It's all being kept *very* quiet if it's true... which, would not surprise me. Super-disappointing to read :-(

I will ask around next time I have the chance to talk to my man in the know, see if I can get an exact figure, although I suspect like a lot of other things, we will simply never know.

Very sad -

C.

Cheers

and further to my last post - I just sopke to my ops manager who says he has heard rumours that some boats are out at night hunting sharks but he has, as yet, no direct evidence of the fact. We shall see.

C.

Depressing news, Crowley.

This is nuts. Hysteria rules.

not hysteria ....greed! Corrupt opportunists are using this event to declare open season on sharks for 'fin $$$' for the Asian market......the idea boats are out in the middle of the night hunting sharks to make the waters 'safe' for tourist water sports is absurd!!!

Not sure it's absurd. It's just overkill and very damaging to the local environment and long term healthiness of the ecosystem.

I truly hope that the HEPCA report is either incorrect or overstating the extent.

The primary reason I visit Egypt is for the sharks and I imagine there are many many divers that have the same driver.

Cheers,
J

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]From CDWS:

-------------------------------
All diving restrictions put in place following the series of shark incidents since 30 November have now been lifted.

Following continuing safety assessments and a gradual change in restrictions, CDWS is pleased to inform members that all diving activities can continue under the normal safety and standards guidelines applicable before the incidents.

At this time, restrictions regarding snorkelling remain unchanged. As and when there will be changes to these restrictions, we will send out an announcement.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]-------------------------------[/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom