Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String said there were at least 6 sharks caught and killed way back...

The images you posted show the Mako and the OWT.
I guess sharks are being caught every now and then, but I got the impression from your post that there had been a recent killing spree on sharks, which I haven't heard from other guys on site. A shame if that's the case.

Last edited:
Seem from the picture that the dreaded killer was a basking shark !

Who would have thought so... :wink:

Rumour control - they are the only two sharks that have been killed. The photo shows one mako and one juvenile Oceanic White Tip. There has been no mass slaughter of sharks in the area.

The dead sheep theory is accurate - they really were thrown overboard and the vessel in question may be prosecuted. Colleagues of mine saw them floating and bloated in the water. Also I re-iterate - it is not the first time that animal carcasses have been dumped overboard here.

The female OWT possibly responsible is still in the area, and there is no mandate to kill her. She has been seen by divers and has caused no other problems apart from curiously circling around. I have not seen it personally but whe has been seen a few times by my colleagues and by other dive centres displaying what is normal OWT/diver interaction. She's curious, hangs around, but in the case of my colleagues at least, has not even approached for a bump, which they are known to do.

That's the truth as far as I can relate it

Cheers

C.

Cheers

C.

The female OWT possibly responsible is still in the area, and there is no mandate to kill her. She has been seen by divers and has caused no other problems apart from curiously circling around. I have not seen it personally but whe has been seen a few times by my colleagues and by other dive centres displaying what is normal OWT/diver interaction. She's curious, hangs around, but in the case of my colleagues at least, has not even approached for a bump, which they are known to do.

Well that she is safe with divers is one thing. It is swimmers/snorkelers she is a threath to, and should in my view be caught if possible.

Well that she is safe with divers is one thing. It is swimmers/snorkelers she is a threath to, and should in my view be caught if possible.
You want her to go thru counseling? I'm sure it's just a matter of time before she is brought in and hung up for pics. It'll be good for business.

The images you posted show the Mako and the OWT.

Those are not my images. String posted those images.

I guess sharks are being caught every now and then, but I got the impression from your post that there had been a recent killing spree on sharks, which I haven't heard from other guys on site. A shame if that's the case.

Your question asking where to find information suggesting that many sharks have been killed was not directed to me. Your question was directed to Tigerman. I quoted String's post because he was our other man-on-the-ground who initially told us that at least 6 sharks had been killed right at the beginning. The part of the post that I should have directed your attention to was:

String:
Due to the photographic evidence its been confirmed that none of the sharks caught (6+ officially, probably many more) are the ones responsible for the attacks.
bold added

Back
Top Bottom