Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hard put to think of any areas not specifically excluded from the ban.....

Asser, is this in response to worries and/or shark sightings in the off-limits areas?

No clue John. We've seen a shark (not the one they're looking for) on December 15th in Tiran just under the boat. When Ras Mohamed was open and the area from Ras Nasrani to Naama Bay was banned, the boats saw the rouge shark and identified it in Shark - Yolanda.

It's a smart critter. :D

Red Sea Shadow.
I've just checked our log books and we also dived at Tiran on Wednesday 15th December. We did Jackson followed by Gordon. We moored next to a Sinai divers boat. We did see a huge Moray on Gordon (near the cables) but no sharks. Where was it seen and which species. Thanks.

Does anybody know if there have been more recent sightings and/or concerns about sharks in this area? I wonder what might have changed since the ban was lifted at the end of december?

That's just my 2 cents, but it seems like the authorities don't really have a clue about what they are doing? Closing one day, opening on the next, closing again :confused:

Red Sea Shadow.
I've just checked our log books and we also dived at Tiran on Wednesday 15th December. We did Jackson followed by Gordon. We moored next to a Sinai divers boat. We did see a huge Moray on Gordon (near the cables) but no sharks. Where was it seen and which species. Thanks.
I was doing a tech dive in Thomas Canyon. It was a whitetip (reef not oceanic).

Asser - do you have access to the original Arabic decree? The reason being is that the English version ( a) makes no sense and ( b) appears to be a mis-translation. The part about "house reef shore diving" seems to have been mistranslated from "training dives". Local police chiefs were at our centre today and we effectively told them to take a long walk off a short plank (in a very nice way) and come back with something that makes sense.

So - as per the immediate aftermath of the shark attacks, it appears training dives are banned again, but qualified divers may continue. The police were adamant this ban applies to Naama bay as well as other locations. Until we get a translation that all parties can understand, it has been summarily ignored but...

In my mind the last two decrees regarding sharm diving, i.e. "restricted swimming and snorkeling areas" and "training dives banned" is paving the way for construction of nets.

The last sighting by our dive centre of the Longimanus responsbile for the attacks was on 22nd December. I will post a photo of her later.

After conversations with some of the local Egpytian people, they are amazed that nobody went out to kill it. In many minds, the right thing to do is to catch it. There are reports from HEPCA that a number of sharks have been caught and killed and we have heard similar rumours, but as yet there is no photographic evidence to support the story - at least nothing that has been published.

I'm going to write a summary of what I know in another post but the after-effects may take a while to settle. I am pretty certain that nets are on the agenda but this is politically sensitive and it may give you some idea of *how* sensitive by the fact that I am unwilling to put my name to what I want to tell you guys, because there have already been repercussions for those that disagreed. Have a look at OceJANic's posts in another thread....

Cheers folks,

C.

Yes I have the original decree in Arabic. I just didn't want to confuse you guys even more. Here it is:

==============
After reviewing the laws, regulations, etc... The Governor of South Sinai has decided on:

1. Banning all dive training and shore diving activities (both) in front of all hotel beaches starting as of the morning of January 4th, 2011.

2. Dive training is allowed in the following areas:
A. Hotels of Naama Bay, Ras Um Sid and Sharm El Maya (under the old electricity plant).
B. Hotels north of Naama (Sofitel till Ras Nasrani) in Sharks Bay area.
C. Hotels in Montazah and Nabq (Ras Gamila and north of Nakhlet El Tal).

3. Shore diving in Ras Mohamed is allowed (in the pre-determined areas). Also shore diving in Ras Um Sid, Ras Gamila and Nabq (north of Nakhlet El Tal).

4. All centers should do basic level training in the hotel swimming pools.

5. The non-obedient dive centers will be banned for a month long. On repeating the violation, the ban will be for three months long. If a third violation is discovered, the center's license might be canceled.

6. This decree is to be activated as soon as it's issued. Each party should execute its part (CDWS, Marine Police, Beach Protection and National Parks).
==============

didn't want to confuse me? like you could confuse me further than the original!!

That actually makes sense - so thanks for that - i just hope the message gets through sometime before next week. If the training areas are enforced this will prove a logistical nightmare - these places can only support so many divers. Each portion of the beaches in question are owned by hotels... and there are only so many divers you can put in the same place. What are all the dive centres outside of these locations going to do?

Gets more ridiculous here every day.

C.

They should be using the pools, as stated in point (4).

Talking about confusion, is there anything north of Nakhlet El Tal? Any hotels I mean? OK, south of Nakhlet El Tal? Fine, how many person in Sharm now knows where Nakhlet El Tal is? It's in the middle of no where! Actually I usually get stuck in the sand with my small car there! And I'm usually all alone and nobody's passing by to help. Why would they include such a place in a formal decree?!!!

Back
Top Bottom