Surgeon feared dead on abalone outing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has been a theory around here that it was an insurance scam . But honestly I dont think a scammer would drop his ab bar and guage and not drop a weight belt . Some one would have seen him on the beach . The wife made it known that he was missing quickly . She also couldnt get through with a 911 call the first time through becuase the phone was trying to charge her and she didnt have the cash on hand . She is making quite a stink about that. Sure It could be an insurance fraud .... but a person of his proffession choses what he does becuase he enjoys it . I am sure that he he was making an excellent salary . Still no body and no sighting .....................

Loyd ........ Is this you ?

burlguy:
. Still no body and no sighting .....................
OTOH, the ocean is a pretty big place. I don't find it strange at all that no trace has been found.

There were also a lot of strange speculation about the Lonergans (sp?), the couple that was the subject of the Open Water movie. Equally without foundation.

Charlie99:
OTOH, the ocean is a pretty big place. I don't find it strange at all that no trace has been found.

There were also a lot of strange speculation about the Lonergans (sp?), the couple that was the subject of the Open Water movie. Equally without foundation.

Burlguy,
Nope, this isn't Loyd. Sorry.

You seem to have a lot of firsthand knowledge of this whole affair. Are you from the CA coast area or know the family?

My question really to anyone is if there was a drowning, and the body goes under (caught in kelp, rocks), and floats to the surface - wouldn't it float in to shore? And if there was a shark attack, there would be evidence of body parts in the area, yes?

Truly, sad either way. Sad a person has to speculate.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

bluebubbles:
Burlguy,
Nope, this isn't Loyd. Sorry.

You seem to have a lot of firsthand knowledge of this whole affair. Are you from the CA coast area or know the family?

My question really to anyone is if there was a drowning, and the body goes under (caught in kelp, rocks), and floats to the surface - wouldn't it float in to shore? And if there was a shark attack, there would be evidence of body parts in the area, yes?

Truly, sad either way. Sad a person has to speculate.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I am right here in Fort Bragg . It looks like we have had another incident in the water . Body found floating off Ten mile ,...... the sheriff here wont release any info on the happenings . Lt Miller wont release any details . Just another uhh,,,,,, well crabs must have done that to the body after it was in the water. This is a feeding ground, out here , this year . There have been many cases of a whole person being consumed . It actually happens that way quite often .

Iam within the dive circle around here . I am a recreational gold dredger and get my tanks filled and buy my Hooka gear at the local shop. I get to hear the new news whenever I go there . I buy a new wet suit almost every year and keep myself informed on what to expect . I try to stay out of deeper water around here and stay in shallow coves .
I doubt that any info will be released on the latest incident . We dont want tourists to stay out of the water .... If you are lucky enough you can come over to Machericker and watch a Great White breech after a seal or Find a tooth on the shore .... These have all made the local news .

burlguy:
I am right here in Fort Bragg . It looks like we have had another incident in the water . Body found floating off Ten mile ,...... the sheriff here wont release any info on the happenings . Lt Miller wont release any details . Just another uhh,,,,,, well crabs must have done that to the body after it was in the water. This is a feeding ground, out here , this year . There have been many cases of a whole person being consumed . It actually happens that way quite often .

Iam within the dive circle around here . I am a recreational gold dredger and get my tanks filled and buy my Hooka gear at the local shop. I get to hear the new news whenever I go there . I buy a new wet suit almost every year and keep myself informed on what to expect . I try to stay out of deeper water around here and stay in shallow coves .
I doubt that any info will be released on the latest incident . We dont want tourists to stay out of the water .... If you are lucky enough you can come over to Machericker and watch a Great White breech after a seal or Find a tooth on the shore .... These have all made the local news .

Wow, insurance fraud?? That's crazy. But, personally, I wouldn't say they are 'all' happy with their profession. I know some folks in the medical field. My guess is that it's like every other profession. Maybe he wanted out. It's happened before. Regardless, no one should have to wonder what happened to their loved one, no matter the circumstances.

Any chance the latest body could be his?

Still, would be great to see the sights you mentioned ... haven't visited that area of CA before.

burlguy:
http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050104/NEWS/501040334/1033/NEWS01

Ten mile is about 20 miles north of Van Damme as the crow flies . Pretty slim chance of him drifting up the coast that far.. but could be . I will find out more in the days to come . This just happens to be the same location that the last confirmed shark attack fatality came from.......... :06:

Definitely keep us posted. I'd be curious to know if it is him - or someone else. Either way, not a good way to start the New Year!

bluebubbles:
Definitely keep us posted. I'd be curious to know if it is him - or someone else. Either way, not a good way to start the New Year!

The body recently found was of a missing woman from south of the bay area . She had been in the water less than a day when some fisherman found her floating a mile off shore . Possible suicide ,still under investigation ..... Was deffinetly not the surgeon.

burlguy:
Just another uhh,,,,,, well crabs must have done that to the body after it was in the water. This is a feeding ground, out here , this year . There have been many cases of a whole person being consumed . It actually happens that way quite often.

Hey burlguy. I'm a local, too, and that's the area I go diving.

This latest body...you seem to insinuate it was the landlord's doing? Any concrete ideas on that?

Also, what leads you to believe that this year is unusual? I know of the one confirmed GW fatality, and there was a surfer up in Humboldt a few months back who survived.

Just curious why you feel this year is different, and what some of these "many cases of a whole person being consumed" are. You're freaking me out! :D

Gregg

Hey - just wanted to let you know that it rumor has it the surgeon that has been missing was found about 200 miles north (same wet suit, etc). They are doing an ID then will make an announcement.

Back
Top Bottom