surf vs. scuba wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robin

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie

Can you tell me if there is a difference btwn a "surf" wetsuit and a "scuba" wetsuit?

2nd question: Do you know anything about Victory Wetsuits out of huntington beach california? They make a surf wetsuit that looks really good to me. Thanks

Robin

Hi Robin.

The major difference is their are inflation and deflation valves on scuba dry suits and none on surf dry suits. Also the material for surfing suit is generaly not as strong as diving suits and most surfing suits do not have boots attached only seals at the bottom of the suit!

Hope this helps ya!:)

hey ninja, thanks!

I was wondering about WET suits! Any thoughts about those? Thanks!

Robin

Sorry Robin,

wasn't paying attention thought you were talking about drysuits those wetsuits i'm not familiar with so hopefully someone may be able to help you! :confused: :D

lol ninja!

Thanks for the reply anyway, I learned something about drysuits in case I get up my nerve for cold water:)

Robin

As I understand it, the cut is different: some designers adjust the "bend" of the legs and arms a little differently as well as the amount of room at the major joints, etc., depending upon the anticipated usage of the suit.

There also can be some differences in the material, from the weight of the outer shell or inner lining, etc.

Find a manufacturer that offers different suits for different purposes (Bodyglove, for example) and take a close look at the technical specifications.

Don't interpret this information as an endorsement - I'm not certain that these minor alterations make enough difference to be worth the learning curve, let alone the cost.

Hope this helps.

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the reply. I found a "surf" suit by Victory Wetsuits on eBay that looked cool and seemed to be tall and thin enough for me. The price was soooo right. The pix looked the same as the scuba suits I've been looking for.

Now before anyone berates me for buying a wetsuit mail order, sight unseen, I will tell you I got it very very cheap and my diving will be tropical. I think there's room for error. Or certainly I will find out!

I'm taking it to Cancun in Feb. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks for the advice!

Robin

Robin,

I believe there are some differences between the 2 suits.

1. surf suits are not made of the higher quality neoprene and therefore not as crush resistant.

2. some of the comapanies use a different stitching and you will notice this after your dive as you will look like you have been divided up by the seams pressed into your skin.

If you are going to use this in the tropics you may not notice any of this as long as you stay shallow.

Good Luck

chuck

Chuck has it right.

The "surf" suits do not hold up to the increased water pressure that divers experience. They are great for the surface, and they do keep you warm, but take them deeper consistantly over a period of time, and they compress...and do not bounce back. I don't know what the difference in neoprene is, but the surf suits aren't good for diving.

Although, if you stay shallow, you shouldn't have a problem for a while. But, if you are counting on the suit for real warmth...get one made for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom