Surf Ski Kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have experience using a Surf Ski as a diving platform? I am tempted to buy one to extend my shore diving range out another half mile to maybe a mile.

These kayaks have zero storage and I planned to tether my BC and tow it behind the kayak. Having to don and doff my rig in the water seems like it would entail less wear and tear on my lower back than lifting it into a larger kayak and tying it down. I just don't know if it is a hassle to paddle with a trailer.

No opinions?

How about comments on towing your gear on a leash behind the kayak versus stowing it on top in a seat or storage area? Someone must have tried this.

Well, I haven't tried a surf ski kayak but I do kayak dive regularly & I can tell you from experience that trying to paddle while towing your gear in the water is not fun.

I've towed other kayaks behind me, but towing unstreamlined dive gear sounds like a bad idea to me, especially in the surf zone. Surf skis are pretty unstable, I wouldn't even want to dive from my sea kayak which has a 23" beam and is more stable than a ski. How about a Hawaiian type outrigger?

Wow, I had no idea towing gear was such a PITA.

I don't plan on paddling in the surf zone. Can you describe more specifically why towing gear is such a hassle?

Well, imagine trying to paddle while dragging an anchor. That's kind of what it's like. A kayak is streamlined to cut through the water & all you are doing is creating & increasing drag by leaving your gear trailing behind. You also run the risk of your tether breaking loose & now you've got to chase your gear. There have been times when I have wanted to move my boat a short distance & I didn't want to go through the hassle of dumping the weights out of my integrated BC in order to get everything back in the boat so I've just gone ahead & left the gear in the water. Trust me, it is a pita.

No, you will not be able to drag your gear behind you, no, no, no. First it will produce huge drag, it will contribute to instability of the kayak, it will potentially be dangerous should you encounter rough water or surf (entry/exit). how you ask, well imagine a wave picking your gear up and throwing it at you and knocking you the heck out of the kayak. How about that?

Here is what you do, get a OK Prowler 13, get some lightweight gear, aluminum 50 or aluminum 63, plastic plate or other type of light weight rig. Your probably diving relatively shallow so a 63 will be enough. A steel 72 also is several pounds lighter than the typical aluminum 80 etc.

N

I can't imagine the drag of towing the gear behind you! Most of the true surfskis are pretty twitchy and not built overly tough....putting a tow point in that will hold and not affect stability or handling would be tough.

Ski's are a blast and I truly miss my Fenn....not a good dive platform though.

Back
Top Bottom