Sure is shallow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's a good time to explore the once inexcessible parts of Lake Travis. What with the lake level being so low. I went to windy point yesterday and friday and found that the vis didn't suck to bad below about 65ft and got better the deeper we went. For the first time, I made it all the way to river bed! I sits in 130' of water. It was alittle chilly down there-68deg and very dark. My C-4 with fresh batteries was good enough for the dive but I wonder what it would have been like with a high wattage can light since the vis seemed to be very good down there.

On another note-following the story of the recently discovered barrell in lake Buchanon containing bones in concrete (Hoffa maybe?), makes on wonder what is in those barrells you see in lake Travis?

shaggie:
It's a good time to explore the once inexcessible parts of Lake Travis. What with the lake level being so low. I went to windy point yesterday and friday and found that the vis didn't suck to bad below about 65ft and got better the deeper we went. For the first time, I made it all the way to river bed! I sits in 130' of water. It was alittle chilly down there-68deg and very dark. My C-4 with fresh batteries was good enough for the dive but I wonder what it would have been like with a high wattage can light since the vis seemed to be very good down there.

On another note-following the story of the recently discovered barrell in lake Buchanon containing bones in concrete (Hoffa maybe?), makes on wonder what is in those barrells you see in lake Travis?

Thanks for the note on Travis,,,68f is just down right 'warm' for 130ffw...heck thats shorty temps! :wink: We were at Broken Bow in 120ffw at 48-50f this weekend,,,now that was 'cool'.

texdiveguy:
Thanks for the note on Travis,,,68f is just down right 'warm' for 130ffw...heck thats shorty temps! :wink: We were at Broken Bow in 120ffw at 48-50f this weekend,,,now that was 'cool'.
John, you got a link to the story of the barrel in Lake Buchanon? I havent heard that story. Alan, were you guys in wetsuits or diving dry?

Willie

wet-willie:
Alan, were you guys in wetsuits or diving dry?

Willie

Willie, it was a balmy 50f,,,,we are men! We all opped to dive wetsuits.....Frank always does---I've seen that guy dive 43f for darn near an hour on several occasions,,,,I forgot my drysuit bag on the front porch while packing Sat. morning---I just doubled in a 2mil shorty/full 5mil,,,John had his drysuit but braved it diving a 5mil wetsuit....it really was not bad at all.....we had gloves and hoods. OK....we are a bit crazy,,,but diving in cool water is very spiritual, or something..lol :)

That is what I figured, just wondered when you talked about dives just short of an hour. Brrr. But I guess that is why the references to how good it felt as you came up to the shallower waters.

About the trees, Is this kind of like the trees along the wall there at PK. Just curious. I always try to imagine what it looked like before the dams.

Willie

wet-willie:
John, you got a link to the story of the barrel in Lake Buchanon? I havent heard that story. Alan, were you guys in wetsuits or diving dry?

Willie

I don't have a link, but it's been on the news the last couple of days. Maybe when I have time, I'll try to find it.

John, I was thinking the other day that there must be some advantage to the lake being as low as it is ... that at least there would be some areas that were normally not accessible to us regular divers. I really am anxious to get down there again.

Thanks for the report. I sort of hijacked the thread for a bit, sorry about that. I will search for the story, pretty interesting.

Willie

texdiveguy:

While I was wearing a shorty, my hats off to you! Brrrrrrr! I don't even like winter diving here when the lakes in the low to mid 50's (Of course being the dive slat (can't write **** on the board!) that I am I do it anyways).

Why is Broken Bow so cold in the summer?

I was at Windy Point today as well but managed to find the cold spot. Lowest temp I got at 130 was 58 degrees,not 68.

Strange that the bottom of Travis is now a recreational dive (sort of)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom