Suptig dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello fellow divers,
I am looking into to getting a suptig 84 led dive light mainly for my go pro. But also would use it as a dive light for night dives so that way I can hold the go pro and light in one hand. I had the smaller model of the suptig but the mount got loose mid dive and fell off and I didn’t notice. I used it for about 5 dives and it didn’t fail me. Reading the amazon reviews of the 84 led is very mixed with goods and bad. Please advise if I should give it a try or if anyone know of an inexpensive dive lights that can be tray mounted. Or should I just go for the expensive ones that’s cost $200 plus.

Attachments

• 88D8DA69-803B-4FC0-B54E-52F06F162B37.png
    88D8DA69-803B-4FC0-B54E-52F06F162B37.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 112
Video lights
I am looking into to getting a suptig 84 led dive light mainly for my go pro. But also would use it as a dive light for night dives so that way I can hold the go pro and light in one hand.
It won't work as a primary light for night dives. The beam from video lights spreads out and so doesn't penetrate very far. You need a tight beam, 8 to 12 degrees, to be able to see and signal more than a couple of meters underwater.

Video light and a dive light are 2 completely different animals.

Long time ago we were doing a night dive. Someone had there dive light quit and a last second fix was a bright new video light. In the end it sucked for everyone. The lack of a beam pattern and the glare in the water made it suck to use as the diver. And anybody that looked in his direction just saw an annoying light. Zero capacity to signal. Never again.

As for the cheap 30 LED Suptig, I have a couple. really not powerful. I found a lot of value in using them as an educational tool. 2 lights? yes, because 1 light will leave nasty shadows. That kind of education. Useful in the 1-2 foot range. No issues pushing them past the rated depth either.

Okay well I have a orcatorch also that I use as primary but looking for an even better light or just a really good backup .. THATS NOT INSANELY EXPENSIVE. I’ve spend way to much this year on dive gear.
As far as media lighting I think I’ll give the bigger suptig a try small one worked well in regards to it never failed or flooded.. as are as performance in lighting up a subject at depth idk .. I’m doing my first night dive soon so I will definitely find out
Video light and a dive light are 2 completely different animals.

Long time ago we were doing a night dive. Someone had there dive light quit and a last second fix was a bright new video light. In the end it sucked for everyone. The lack of a beam pattern and the glare in the water made it suck to use as the diver. And anybody that looked in his direction just saw an annoying light. Zero capacity to signal. Never again.

As for the cheap 30 LED Suptig, I have a couple. really not powerful. I found a lot of value in using them as an educational tool. 2 lights? yes, because 1 light will leave nasty shadows. That kind of education. Useful in the 1-2 foot range. No issues pushing them past the rated depth either.

as are as performance in lighting up a subject at depth idk .. I’m doing my first night dive soon so I will definitely find out
For your first night dive you might want to skip the camera or at least keep it clipped off unless you see something really spectacular. Night diving is great, but it's easy to lose situational awareness and to lose track of where everyone is even without a camera to distract you.

I had the same thoughts. Just enjoy the dive without panicking. I did my first deep and shipwreck dive on Sunday. I did use the orcatorch when I went in to a section and it was definitely bright enough but we only stayed in for about 3 minutes when came out so I didn’t get to test how long it would last under pressure
For your first night dive you might want to skip the camera or at least keep it clipped off unless you see something really spectacular. Night diving is great, but it's easy to lose situational awareness and to lose track of where everyone is even without a camera to distract you.

I’m looking at the same light for my GoPro 10 for daytime dives. Did you end up getting this light? How did it work out ?

Better define your daytime dives. If there is a lot of ambient light, good chance they will never make enough light to overcome sunlight. They are not high power by any means.

I have not tried it since upgrading from the Hero4 to the 10. The 10 housing just showed up today, have not even opened the box yet. But I can tell you with the 4 the lights were only useful in dark places and only a foot or two away.

Not saying they are bad, but probably not what you are expecting. But they are good for learning the basics of underwater lighting if this is the first time.

I had one, flooded after a few dives. The o-ring isn't very durable.

Better define your daytime dives. If there is a lot of ambient light, good chance they will never make enough light to overcome sunlight. They are not high power by any means.

I have not tried it since upgrading from the Hero4 to the 10. The 10 housing just showed up today, have not even opened the box yet. But I can tell you with the 4 the lights were only useful in dark places and only a foot or two away.

Not saying they are bad, but probably not what you are expecting. But they are good for learning the basics of underwater lighting if this is the first time.
I dive in the Caribbean so decent ambient light. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom