Supermacro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are absolutely right, it is very hard and requires training.
Normally when I dive with such a SM setup I lock the focus at the max magnification and hunt for subjects.
Well good luck, just be careful with the wet diopters, as I said they don't add a multiplier to the amplification factor, and it is very hard to get a 2x effect out of one.
If you are looking for one I suggest the ReefNet Inc. SubSee Adapter, I think it is the most powerful an versatile one in the market. I was never a big-fan of these adapters, but I will get one SubSee to try. Just remember that the only way to properly check the amplification that they give is to do the check yourself by shooting a ruler on a big bowl of water or in a pool.

Good luck.

Just one thing, the shutter speed is the least of your worries... I normally set it to the sync speed (1/250s in my case) and shoot away. In reality your subject will be frozen by the flash which lasts anywhere from 1/1.000s to 1/10.000s depending on the power setting.

Wow lots of very informative replies.

In the end this is what I've gone with.

Equipment: Canon 40D (cropped sensor), 100mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, Subsea Adaptor
Ports:Extension Ring 40 (56111), NX Compact Macro Port Base (56201), Compact Macro Port S (35) (56211).

The port combination is a bit odd as they are basically a reconfiguration of my existing ports (for my 60mm and my 10-22mm wide angle) so I don't have to buy a new port for the 100mm. It fits, but no manual focus - but the subsea guys were explaining that they basically do their photography on auto anyway. Plus I can always fix the focus if I want. This may not be ideal if you want to buy a port especially for the 100mm, but it works for me. Anyway I'm just listing them here if any one is interested.

Can't believe that Sea&sea actually figured out a combination with my existing ports and didn't try to get me to buy a whole range of new ports! Nice. :D

About to go on a macro focused dive trip next week. Will report back.

Back
Top Bottom