Supermacro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTA

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking about expanding my setup to shoot in supermacro (more than 1:1 magnification). Have been reading and now am weighing the options between teleconverters, extenders and diopters. Anyone care to weigh in?

I'm shooting with the Canon 40D + 100mm macro in a sea&sea case.

Looking to photograph pygmy seahorses and that size of stuff, coral polyps and more arty shots of interesting patterns (scales, skins etc).

Any opinions greatly appreciated as I am currently feeling :confused:

Thanks!

I think your best bet would be TC's, diopters or both. Extension tubes are just too long to use.

With the Sea & Sea, you would need the extension ring 40 to use a kenko x1.4 TC I believe. I have the gear but never set it up for such use. Instead, I use an Inon UCL165M67 wet diopter with an Athena port for my Nikkor 105VR macro (they do make a Canon version as well of this port). The Athena is threaded and the diopter (any 67 diameter threaded diopter) screws on nicely. You could double stack the diopter too if you want. The best part for me is the ability to remove the diopter during the dive if needed. You certainly can't remove a TC underwater!

I also prefer to use this method for the 100/105mm macros as you already have a good working distance with the long lens. The diopter will reduce this distance and shrink the water column you have to work with. With a TC, the working distance does not change but you loose light. With a diopter, you don't lose light but have a reduced working distance (which can be favorable for UW photography unless you are shooting skittish subjects).

I would certainly use a TC if using a 60mm Macro lens though. The already short working distance means a strong diopter is not feasable. However, I do carry a Woody's diopter with me when I dive with my 60mm Macro. It helps fill the fram a bit at times.

Last year I was using a wet diopter similar to a Woody's with both my 60mm and 100mm lenses, but this year I got something with more magnification, since I found I still had to crop for the really tiny stuff. This is what I got (I will be using it in a few weeks): ReefNet Inc. | SubSee Adapter

The new Reefnet SubSee adapter is definitely what I would recommend. I do not like using a TC and being stuck with it the entire dive. I know the guys at ReefNet have quite a few versions available for different ports, and they are always looking to fulfill other needs. What macro ports are you using on your S&S for the 100??

Don't have a port for the 100mm yet so suggestions welcome. I'd like to get something that is flexible - in case I want to try TCs or extenders. Don't know if this is asking for too much!

Hi -

Just wanted to say - I own a flip on/off Macro Mate and love, love, love it - but it is more expensive than the Subsee (which wasn't available when I bought my MM)... I really like the fact that I am not committed, as H2O has said (though I do sometimes use a +3 diopter on my 100 mm lens if I am willing to commit!).

BTW - keep in mind that any sort of external diopter can be very challenging the first few times you use it - amazing magnification and decreased minimum focal distance, but it also greatly narrows the area in which you can focus (i.e., if there is surge? You will be cursing through your regulator! A lot!). That said, the results can be well worth the frustration.

Good luck!

Allison

Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to say a very big thank you to everyone. You've really helped to clarify the situation. Looks like I'll be going the diopter route, but am still slightly (ever so slightly) tempted by the Kenko 1.4TC (which I'll be able to use topside as well). Will get the diopter and see how I go.

Thanks everyone for your very informative replies.

No problem TTA, this has been a good thread. I am now also looking into buying this SubSee diopter for it's much higher magnification ratio.

As far as your (Sea & Sea) port goes, I have read that it is possible to use a standard port with extension rings for the Nikkor 105VR. You just have to remove a little rubber piece on the inside of the port with a knife. Doing this means less ports to carry when traveling. Whichever port you use for the 105VR, just use the 40 Ext ring to get the extra length to accommodate the Kenko 1.4TC

Esaki - thanks, that is really helpful. And I've already got the extension ring 40. Woohoo! What little rubber piece do you mean? Can you manually focus still?

Back
Top Bottom