Super Swamper Happy Hour?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NadMat

DIMWIT Swamper ;)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever considered a simultaneous swamper happy hour? Not sure whether scheduling would be doable as difficult as picking a time and location is for one city, but was just thinking 'outloud'.

The Idea...

Simultaneous Happy Hours in Dallas, Houston, and Austin areas (maybe San Antonio?)

Locations... determined by those local to particular area, but would have to be a location that had an available big screen for our use and a broadband connection available.

Each location would need at least one swamper with webcam and laptop with S-video or RCA out and ability to connect to Internet at location.

open a window for each remote location at each site and display on big screen, sit a table in front, then aim webcam to view table(s) at your locale.

sort of a virtual gathering of the whole swamper group....

Disadvantages would be limited number of locations that we could do this at, plus added scheduling difficulties with deciding on simutaneous date that works for swampers and for location chosen.

Advantages would be those of us at sites get to 'see' more of their fellow swampers to better put screennames with faces so we can give a shout out when see each other out diving. Also, for those who for one reason or another cannot get to happy hour location might at least have a chance to 'virtually' drop and check out what is happening.

Not sure how practical an idea it is, just know it is technically feasible. I thought about it because of discussion with Hemlon about me not making last Oasis meet and greet. I told her that at least I was able to enjoy the pics afterward, so got to put some faces with names.

Not sure if it is a 'good' idea, just something that occured to me, so I thought I'd throw it up there and see if it gets shot down or if it flies on....

Comments? Critiques? Suggestions? Slow week for me this week, start new job soon, and have kinda finished up most of outstanding projects, so have not a lot to do ( at least nothing that I 'want' to do :wink: )

That just sounds like way too much work.

only one or two swampers per location would have to 'think', the rest can just listen to the nitrogen bubbling in their heads and have another drink. :D

I would think we could get at least one IT oriented swamper and one social scheduling swamper per location without too much trouble, the rest would just have to show up and drink :wink:

NadMat:
only one or two swampers per location would have to 'think', the rest can just listen to the nitrogen bubbling in their heads and have another drink. :D

I would think we could get at least one IT oriented swamper and one social scheduling swamper per location without too much trouble, the rest would just have to show up and drink :wink:

Soooo your looking for designated drinkers that shouldn't be too hard to find :D

It would be a logistical challenge, but I think it would be cool to do. Special challenge would be getting 3 - 4 cities worth of people to agree on a date and time. Then each would have to find a location with HSIA and sufficient bandwidth. As for Austin, I'm not sure if Oasis could provide. We may have to pick another location.

Mack Diver:
It would be a logistical challenge, but I think it would be cool to do. Special challenge would be getting 3 - 4 cities worth of people to agree on a date and time. Then each would have to find a location with HSIA and sufficient bandwidth. As for Austin, I'm not sure if Oasis could provide. We may have to pick another location.

Hey Mack, how about Oak Hill Scuba :D

Mack Diver:

yea Mack, the big screens are somewhat common, broadband internet not quite as common. But should be doable somewhere. I am thinking that while everyone discusses about what date a couple of months from now might be best, I could research some bars (dirty job, but someone has to do it :wink: ) for available big screen and broadband.

And it may end up just not being worth the whole hassle, but also thought it would be neat. One day I plan on getting business grade satelitte internet for my use so can go mobile, then we could web broadcast from WP if we wanted :D

As I said originally, just a thought from a bored geek with little to do at moment (besides chores :() and thought I'd bounce it off some swampers.
(hope to soon be able to say 'fellow swampers, but haven't managed to get out and dive with any swampers yet :()

It may be technically *possible* but "feasibility" incorporates "practicality".

In addition to volunteering one's time, someone will need to volunteer the hosting space and equipment.

Our happy hours are so crowded that it isn't possible to even chat with all those there in person, much less pay attention to a webcast of other areas. And it is so noisy that I can barely hear the people I'm standing beside. All that would come across a broadcast would be an indiscernible din.

I think a better idea would be for someone to offer hosting space and a volunteer or two in each region to upload photos, video clips, and notes for their happy hours to a static website. Then those who missed it could get a good idea of what it was like and those who attended can "relive" it over and over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom