Super Noob DC1000 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NvScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I feel like a total :dork2: asking this question but I want to make sure that our first use of our new DC1000 goes well. After reading the manuals, over and over and over (I will admit to being a tad OCD), I followed the direction to conduct a test of the housing in a tub of water. This is my first experience dealing with a digital camera housing so forgive my noobyness on this one.

When I submerged the housing the two external flash units seemed to vent air for a couple of seconds. Is this normal? It appeared that the air was coming near the latches to the housing however I did not see the area behind the hatch protecting the switches and batteries flood. I am assuming there is some air space that floods initially upon entry into the water. Am I ASSuming correctly or am I an ass for leaving the unit in the water to flood?

Also, when working each of the buttons on the housing a couple of small bubbles came out from the buttons, agains making assumptions, it looked like air releasing from under the button and not entering the housing. Anyway, I figure I will let it soak for the recommmended hour and hope for the best.

Thanks for any replies and I know I sound like a looser :lotsalove:, but knowledge from others is better than guess work on my part.

Steve

If there was no water inside you should be fine. The initial bubbles could have come from almost anywhere there is a crevice or something. As long as its the outside, no problem.

I will dive with my DC1000 next week for the first time. Initial testing in a bucket was successful. I am also taking my DC500 as a backup. This one has over 100 dives on it without a flood (hope I didn't just jinx myself), and all of them with the external flash.

When I submerged the housing the two external flash units seemed to vent air for a couple of seconds. Is this normal? It appeared that the air was coming near the latches to the housing however I did not see the area behind the hatch protecting the switches and batteries flood. I am assuming there is some air space that floods initially upon entry into the water. Am I ASSuming correctly or am I an ass for leaving the unit in the water to flood?

Also, when working each of the buttons on the housing a couple of small bubbles came out from the buttons, agains making assumptions, it looked like air releasing from under the button and not entering the housing. Anyway, I figure I will let it soak for the recommmended hour and hope for the best.

Thanks for any replies and I know I sound like a looser :lotsalove:, but knowledge from others is better than guess work on my part.

Steve

You missed it in your manual, which specifically states that there will be bubbles coming out of the flash, and tells you not to worry. (Flash manual, page 30, point number 5). Here's the direct quote: "Note: It is normal that some air bubbles will come from the flash arm and any other air pockets. Most dive boats have a tub of fresh water intended for underwater cameras."

All IS FINE.

With any housing, there are little compartments where air can get "trapped" only to be released when submerged again. If you were to "shake" the camera a little more would come out. don't fret, a lttle bit of bubbles like this are nothing. Now if you notice a continuos stream and the camera stops working, this is a problem!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom