Sunset House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmcgilroy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I've booked for the beginning of May at the Sunset House. Hopefully, Covid Varient # (?) won't change Cayman's policies. American Airlines took my reservation (and money) but I think they are still subject to change/cancel. I'm leaving out of SFO and my other options are to fly to NYC then JetBlue to Grand Cayman or to Miami and find a Cayman Airway flight. We'll see what happens.

Sunset House has been closed for a while starting the reopening process, I hope all goes well. I'm on a bit of a scouting mission for a group that I'll be taking later in the year. I'd love to hear opinions of anyone's experience with Sunset House and Sunset Divers because none of the group has ever been to the Cayman Islands.

I've never stayed at Sunset House but have dived there many times.
They have good boats and a very good house reef with easy ocean access either by ladder or via a salt water pool on rougher days. Relatively sheltered so they often have access for shore diving when other sites are blown out.
One of the best night dive sites on Island.
The pool area is quite spacious with both a fresh water and salt water pools. No beach, ironshore.
Their Bar ( My Bar ) in the past was lively, and had good bar type snacks and food. There is a more formal restaurant on site and I have enjoyed the food there. Nice mix of locals and visitors using the bar and great sunset views. Not sure if Cathy Church Photo shop/school is still open but if so, great resource for photo gear, repairs and underwater photo courses.

Another plus is walking distance into Georgetown for restaurants and shopping.

I've never stayed at Sunset House but have dived there many times.
They have good boats and a very good house reef with easy ocean access either by ladder or via a salt water pool on rougher days. Relatively sheltered so they often have access for shore diving when other sites are blown out.
One of the best night dive sites on Island.
The pool area is quite spacious with both a fresh water and salt water pools. No beach, ironshore.
Their Bar ( My Bar ) in the past was lively, and had good bar type snacks and food. There is a more formal restaurant on site and I have enjoyed the food there. Nice mix of locals and visitors using the bar and great sunset views. Not sure if Cathy Church Photo shop/school is still open but if so, great resource for photo gear, repairs and underwater photo courses.

Another plus is walking distance into Georgetown for restaurants and shopping.
Thank you for the help and Cathy Church must still be there because I had to work around a fully booked week when she was holding a workshop. It will be interesting to see her work.

I was there in 2018. Two morning boat dives and unlimited shore dives. I signed up for unlimited nitrox. I was getting four dives a day most days, including three night dives. Other than breakfast in the restaurant, I was eating at the bar most of the time and it was pretty good. The group I went with flew down on Cayman Air and the plane was much more comfortable than my recent flights on American, at 6’7”, this is not insignificant. I was sharing a room with someone from the trip and spent minimal time there, but it was nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom