Sunset Divers Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamike16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello I just returned from a great week diving with Sunset Divers. The guides were very helpful and always there for you.

Question and this is the first I have ever seen this in over 15 years of diving. When you go to the boat they don't let you board the boat until everyone is there, and they put your gear in the middle of the boat and you have to find a spot to set up on. Standing in the sun waiting for two people who were late daily was interesting. Is this normal with dive ops in GC or just them. I am not trying to start anything just wanted to get other GC experienced divers or just experienced divers opinion.

Many thanks in advance
M

None of the ops I've used on GC do that. Or anyplace for that matter. Don't see how it makes any sense.

That's what I thought to. First they make u give them your gear, they put it on the boat then when everyone is there will they allow you to board the boat but cannot set up your gear till they are in motion away from the dock. The not setting up in the boat while it's on the dock I can understand if there was a wave that rocked the boat, but if you forgot a piece of gear or your reg or other equipment quit working, then you would be screwed on diving that morning.

Is his name Owen? He runs his shop a little differently up there at Turtle Reef. His way or the highway, What really suprises me is the waiting for tardy divers. Don't get me wrong. Not trying to Bash. That's why i like the guy!

Well that does sound strange,did you ask them why? Their boats are fairly large and stable but slow.In all the dive ops I have dove with I have never experienced anything like that.

Divetech, the operator at Cobalt Coast Resort, has well organized way of boarding. Outside the shop, they do a role call of divers and assign them to one boat or the other at 7:45 a.m. They make the divers wait to board as the DMs stow towels, orange slices, water and cups, etc. Then, everyone boards with their gear and select a set of tanks and a seat. We get our weights from the box and start setting up gear immediately. There is a role call prior to casting off. If someone is missing, the captain radios the shop. If the MIA is in the immediate area, we wait. If not, we cast off and head for the dive site. It's orderly, it's efficient and I don't feel like I'm waiting for Godot. That's one more reason why my wife and I made one trip with Sunset Divers and five with Divetech/Cobalt Coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom