Sunscreen and your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunscreen and a mask are a horrible combination. Go for a hat for your surface time .. !

thats was the issue, we didn’t get out of the water.

we were in a lake working on skills on the platform with the GoPro.

We each took turns doing the skill, some discussion with hand signals and wet notes then would surface for a few minutes...talk about what we did replay the clips on the little GoPro screen if we needed then head back down to work some more.

We were both in back mount doubles as that’s the skill family we were working so it ended up being almost 2.5 hours in the water with a total of 45ish mins floating on the surface with the reflected sun in my face.

I generally wear sunscreen on my face most days but don’t usually do so when diving as I have always worried about it either damaging the mask or getting in my eyes

I live in the tropics and there really is no alternative to sunscreen and a hat whenever possible. I put on a thick coat of sunscreen early in the morning long before we go out diving. The greasy cream soaks into my skin leaving the protective particles stuck to la visage. I put a bit more on my nose and lips a few hours later.
I find the early morning coat of gunk is protective and no longer greasy when I put the mask on 2-3 hours later.
I have no preference of brand. Anything 30+ seems to do the job.
Ten years in the tropics and I’ve still got my nose.

Get a Boonie hat. Wear it on the surface and let it trail behind you on the cord when at depth.

Again, no help on the reflected but I find if I stay real low in the water it's not so bad.

Dakine's Surf hat can be worn throughout the dive. I love mine and wear it often. It's like a hood, but I can hear and there's no claustrophobia.Unlike a boonie hat, it has a built in bill that won't cover the front of your mask when wet. They have them in a tropical print, but the neck strap isn't as nice.

s-l1600.jpg

Have you thought about using a buff? I have seen quite a few boat captains using them as well as fisherman that spend a lot of time on the water.

Aftco* makes a bunch of different models of neck gaiters (buffs). I use them when fishing for both sun and insect protection.

Pull it down around your neck while diving, pull it up over your head/face on the surface.

*No interest, except I just ordered 3 for $39.99 and they work just fine. I also have their "CCA" model, and it's nearly a full face mask.

Hats work great, the one Chairman noted looks like the bees knees! I've been using a Hurley brand that doesn't get in the way too much. Doesn't work with a long hose though. I also have a hooded rash guard that works okay, but takes some consistant adjusting because exhaust bubbles start collecting in the hood.

For sun screen the best I've found is this stuff : Doc Martin's Sunscreen Home - Doc Martins of Maui - NexGen Sunscreen
A little goes a long way, and will stay functional for hours, even submerged. I've never had issues with it affecting my mask.
I've tried the high zinc stuff, and am not a fan.

With sun screen in general, you need to put it on early! When I was living in Hawaii, we had a rule - put on sunscreen once you start THINKING about going to the beach. If you wait until you are outside, it's too late, especially if you are just going to hop in the water. That will also keep it from burning your eyes.

-Chris

I also burn real easy. I'm pretty used to dealing with it as a Floridian. Coppertone sport spray is what I use. Works great. However, it can burn your eyes if you've used an excessive amount and then flood your mask. If that happens, just take the mask off and rinse a little, then put it back on. My first mask (profile photo) lasted for about 5 years of this before I decided to replace it. Mostly because I just wanted a better mask. Actually I still have that mask, but it's a backup now.

As @sea_ledford said, put some on early, and then reapply. On dive days, I put sunscreen on at home and then again when boarding the boat. If it's a long ride, I'll put more on before splashing.

I've seen plenty of folks with all sorts of hats underwater. Baseball caps, hats like others have suggested, scuba do-rags... you name it, you can wear it underwater as long as you affix some sort of chin strap to it. Or, put it in a pocket if your bcd or shorts have a pocket.

I had the same problem for years (been diving since 1990), until I found this (4 or 5 years ago) : 'EQ'.

It was designed for surfer, so it lasts in the water and is environment friendly. It's a stick, very easy to apply and to carry.

Just one drawback, once you've smeared your face with it, you're looking like a smurf, an alien, a goth, or a big strawberry candy, depending on the pigment colour you've chosen. :D

First time I used it, while diving in Les Saintes, everybody made fun of me... Until we went back after spending the whole morning at sea... Everybody was bright red, but me ! :p

You just need something to wash the remainder of your face. Got some nasty questions from a policeman some years back, because I still had some dark green smudges on my face while driving back home... :banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom