Sunscreen and neck seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Acanthurus

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Prince George,almost the middle of B.C., Canada
# of dives
500 - 999
The past week was my first salt water dives with my Fusion. They went very well and I am really impressed with the suit - not a leak and very comfortable.

The only problem is that I did not use any sunscreen because I was unsure about the effect sunscreen will have on my latex neck seals. I ended up with a small rash where the seal sat on skin which had been exposed to sun the day prior. I do not think it is a latex allergy since I had no issues with my wrist seals.

Suggestions as to which sunscreens if any are "seal safe" would be appreciated.

Any recommendations for treatment compounds for the latex seals would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't have any information on seal safe sunscreen, but cleaning the seal after use should prevent anything bad from happening.

Initially I used seal saver on my seals all the time. Had good results. After a while though, it appears as though the silicone was causing some deterioration. So, I switched back to straight talc powder. I find that this is simpler to use and the talc helps keep the seals supple and gets the skin oils off just as well. My previous drysuit was only ever treated with talc and the seals never had to be replaced until I bought my fusion.

Your mileage may vary :wink:

Back
Top Bottom