Sunpak G-Flash Underwater Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted to get some dialog going on this strobe. I know Sea Yoda has it and he seems to have good results with it.

Anyone else have any experiences with it? Seems like with a Synch Chord it would be a good, economic little option for those with a digital cam. and looking to pick up a strobe for a decent price.

I'm thinking about picking this up before a (tentatively scheduled) trip to Belize this May.

I don't really want to get into spending $600 for a strobe as at the end of the year I plan to take the video plunge, but there's some shots I just can't get with my Olympus internal strobe.

I have this strobe and for what I paid for it, am quite happy with the few times I used it (my S70 clamshell started misbehaving 1 day after I got the blasted housing and strobe....grrrrr).

The S70 triggers it pretty reliably, and it has a lot of power - I usually have it powered down quite substantially while shooting - and the recharge time is a lot faster than the specs. I wouldnt bother with a sync cord, as its sensor works fairly well as is. For the money, I cannot complain.

Here's a photo taken with this flash along with an S70 in its Canon housing.

Here's a few more shots as well. Not too much variety, sorry - they were all shot in about 10-15 min, before the housing fogged up. The lionfish shot, while not exactly a keeper, shows reasonably good and uniform illumination (I keep the diffuser on at all times).

I didnt get to test corner light fall-off - however, I dont think there will be too much at 28mm, with the diffuser in place. Now, with the WA adapter, that's a different story....

Vandit

Due to weather conditions and work schedule, I haven't been able to get in the water with the strobe as much as I'd like to. I don't have experience with other strobes so I guess I don't know what I'm missing :D. So far, I'm very happy with this one. The light output is great compared to the internal flash. Being able to direct the light is nice too, even though I now get pictures with less backscatter and more in focus particles :D. Recycle time has not bothered me yet, I'm not that fast of a shooter plus I shoot RAW.

There are some definite things that could use improvement. The battery door is awkward at best - the screw down type would be much better. If care is taken to close the door, I don't see it being something that would stop me from buying the strobe again. The power adjust knob has a continuous flow, no stops. I have a hard time in a dark cavern knowing just where I'm at. I'll come up with something to get over that hurdle as I use the strobe more.

I bought the optical cord because of a very shallow dive that I took the strobe on without the cord. Sometimes it would fire and sometimes not. I cover the internal flash now to lower backscatter. I know with the cord that the strobe will see the internal going off so it will trigger.

I added some length to my loc-line arm and a focus light - I can't wait to try them out with the manatees and springs in mid Feb.. Here's a picture of the new additions:

newrig.jpg

Thanks.

I attached a regular hose clamp to a base loc-line segment and threaded it through the Q40 light handle. The base segment attaches to a double female segment. The other end of the double female attaches to a Y segment that goes to the handle and strobe.

In case anyone is interested in where to get Locline, here is a link to a site where you can purchase it. I have purchased it from them before and they were very quick with the order.
http://www.modularhose.com/

Yeah...they are very responsive, fast and CHEAP!. The biggest challenge I have is figuring how to attach it to an Ikelite or ULCS handle. Right now I use the Sea and Sea DX stay as the arms they use are LocLite.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the Sunpak, I found it at www.helixphoto.com for cheap, $180 something. I looked everywhere else and they were out of stock. The stores that had the flash wanted over $200 for it. I can't wait to try it and if anyone has more examples of pictures and setups, please post them!

vkalia:
Here's a few more shots as well. Not too much variety, sorry - they were all shot in about 10-15 min, before the housing fogged up. The lionfish shot, while not exactly a keeper, shows reasonably good and uniform illumination (I keep the diffuser on at all times).

I didnt get to test corner light fall-off - however, I dont think there will be too much at 28mm, with the diffuser in place. Now, with the WA adapter, that's a different story....

Vandit

Great pictures are you sure you did not use a $600 strobe (not including the arms) and not the less than $200 Sun Pak G-flash with the arm and tray included and has been around for the past ten years?

I am not really allowed to comment on this strobe or any other piece of equipment unless I own the exact same item, irrelevant of the fact that I own about a dozen U/W strobes and countless numbers of portable flashes and studio equipment.

Marine life seems to be drawn to more expensive $600 strobes I heard instances of fish actually coming up to divers and start posing for a picture, but only with $600 strobes!

And the fact that only the light from a $600 strobe can yield perfect exposures each and every time, heck I hear that a $600 strobe can also COMPOSE and FOCUS the picture for you! Unthinkable in a less than $200 strobe!

Only with a $600 strobe (or more) can you achieve a shadow less, even lighting from a single strobe! Light always travels in a straight path unless it is reflected off an object the $600 strobe defies the laws of physics and actually bends the light by placing magic reflectors around the subject!

You see you would need three Sun Pak G-flash (less than $200) strobes to equal one $600 strobe, hey maybe that’s the way they came up with that price!

One thing that I could never figure out is that my $50 TTL, auto, manual LAND strobe has the same if not more features than the $600 strobe ($150 U/W sync cord not included that’s another story) yet they have a vast discrepancy in price? I attribute this to the super duper space age PLASTIC used on the $600 strobe or the space age photon generator used only in $600 (or more) strobes.

Again great pictures from a less than $200 strobe, I guess you just got lucky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom