Sunday storm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for going to assist if needed! On the conditions, it really wasn't that bad at Lobos as long as the entry and exit wasn't too big. Once underwater and especially with the scooters we could easily motor against any surge or current. At depth it was pretty calm. We dove Pt Lobos during the Maverick's weekend and that was nasty!

Though the viz was only 10 feet or so we still had a wonderful dive. As long as you have good buddy protocols and don't lose each other and are pretty relaxed in the water it's not so bad.

I havent' heard of any GWS sightings. Where?

Yes, on the Molas being attacked by the Sea Lions, I got some reports on that too.

Doc,

I found out that where we went to assist a little further down from Ball Buster was not even close to Lobos or Whalers, so I was completely wrong about your beach being hit by the white caps. What ever that beach was was clearly not diveable...

Regarding the GWS he was reported at Aumentos beach next to Lovers... Some divers got video or pictures of it, that is what I heard at Break Water...

He was estimated to be 14-15 feet, that to me sounds like the size of a large male. There were a lot of Mulas getting eatin by really large sealions; the ones that have the big crest...

Have you heard anything?

MG

Hm...a sighting near Augmentos? About 2 years ago there was another shark sighting there also.
That was the time a surfer got bit at Del Monte Beach. The following weekend while going out on the Sea Turkey diving, the bay was deserted with no other boats in the bay.

Doc,

I know you probably don't know the answer to this question but since you dive a lot I thought I'd ask.

Why do you think the GWS shows up around Augmentos? Is it the topography, the game below the water? I haven't the slightest whats Augmentos like, how deep, what is vis like? Sandy bottom, rocky bottom, kelp no kelp?

It would be interesting to put the two together; makes for a certain type of recipe; great conditions for an ambush...

Anyway thanks if you can give any feedback that would be great...

MG

I think it's purely by chance. From what I know of Great White Sharks, they can travel large distances. Of course then there was that female GWS at the Monterey Bay Aquarium that had to be let out in Monterey because it was too agressive for the tanks she was in. Maybe she's grown up and wants to stay near home? ;-)

Hm...a sighting near Augmentos? About 2 years ago there was another shark sighting there also.
That was the time a surfer got bit at Del Monte Beach. The following weekend while going out on the Sea Turkey diving, the bay was deserted with no other boats in the bay.

It's Aumentos, not Augmentos.

It was last year. August 5, 2007, the first of two sightings at Aumentos. It was
on the surface by Linda and me. The other sighting was a couple of weeks later,
underwater (don't know by who).

The surfer got bit several miles north of Del Monte at Marina State Beach.

It's Aumentos, not Augmentos.

It was last year. August 5, 2007, the first of two sightings at Aumentos. It was
on the surface by Linda and me. The other sighting was a couple of weeks later,
underwater (don't know by who).

The surfer got bit several miles north of Del Monte at Marina State Beach.

Chuck,

I spelled it out as Aumentos and later saw that Doc reversed it to Augmentos so I followed his lead, sorry about that...

Chuck do you know anything about last weekends sighting at Aumentos? I thought maybe since you are on more boards than me you might have more leads...

Anyway thanks,

MG

Back
Top Bottom