Sunday storm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.SAT...W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 3 FT.
NW SWELL 8 TO 13 FT AT 10 SECONDS AND S 2 TO 3 FT AT 17 SECONDS.
SHOWERS LIKELY.
.SAT NIGHT...NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.
NW SWELL 9 TO 13 FT AND S 2 TO 4 FT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.SUN...NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT.
NW SWELL 8 TO 11 FT...DECREASING TO 5 TO 8 FT. S SWELL 2 TO 4 FT.

That's over my maximums. I'll play it by ear.

It's been bouncing around because we are on the southern edge of a ball of big waves. If it goes
north just a little, it'll be rough but doable. If it comes south a little, don't even walk on the beach.
The north coast will get hammered in any event.

And that 17 second interval means anyplace that can see the south swell component will be REALLY
surgy.

Wow,

And I thought Ball buster was going to be fun. I'm waiting for a call from my instructor to call off my dives...

I was looking forward to completing my AOW dives... But from the looks, King Neptune looks to be in a bad mood for divers to greet him... :(

MG

Any updates on the conditions for tomorrow? Did anyone try Lobos today?

I was looking forward to get back in the water this weekend, but conditions seems a bit rough judging by the forecast.

Lobos was great today (Saturday). If we showed up without seeing the forecast, we would have estimated 2-3ft swells at most. Viz was amazingly clear at the surface, but pretty milky at ~20ft at Middle Reef. The swells were picking up a bit in the afternoon, but were still calm and absolutely diveable. Hope you Sunday divers get the same break we got.

Diving in the Bay was great on Saturday 50 - 60 feet of visability at Hopkins Deep. It was still flat in the Bya in Sunday, but visability dropped to 5-7 feet.

Overall diving in the bay was nice this weekend.

Lobos was glassy on Saturday morning, with some slight drizzle and clouds rolling in by the early afternoon. Monastery looked pretty calm on the way in and out.

Point Lobos Dive Report Sunday Oct 5th.

We were somewhat surprised to see an empty parking lot at 9 AM. Although all 15 or so reservations were full, only one other team showed up. We found Whaler's Cove calm, the tide was already getting high with high tide peaking at about 1 PM. Perfect for getting out of Whaler's Cove at the end of our dive. With doubles, bottles and scooters, this definitely makes it easier.

Climbing up the hill to take a gander at what the swells looked like, we were pleased that it wasn't too rough with perhaps 5'-7' swells but we could see a lot of foam outside the cove. Not sure what significance the foam represents, but on days with great viz, I never see foam. Looking from the bluff for indications of good viz, trying to see if there were layers of dark and lighter green or blue waters, we saw none.

Viz in the cove was marginal, but you could still see your hand with your arm outstreatched underwater, so not too bad. ;-) Scootering out to the mouth of the cove and dropping down to about 25' feet the viz opened up to 10 feet and off north we went. We passed Hole-In-The-Wall, Sea Mount and got to Beto's reef. The viz stayed at around 10' so we decided to stay close to home so we slowly swam about enjoying the various crevices of Beto's Reef. Greg found a couple of neat nudis that he pointed out to me and I was noticing how there seemed to be more of the glass tunicates at shallower depths. Then I noticed a colony of Sea Pens around 125'. Never noticed them there before. I wondered if they were new.

87 minutes, 131 feet max depth, 52.9 degrees F, 10-15' viz

Doc,

That is amazing that you dove that day. We were out on Ball Buster on Sunday morning and the swells were big and the vis was about 15 feet at the bottom of our anchor line.

When we finished our dive the coast guard sent out a distress message of a stranded vessel approaching the rocks, and if any assistance could get to it before them.

Our boat captain took the GPS coordinates and we flew over to assist the small fishing vessel that had lost their motor. We stayed with them for about 20 minutes untill the coast guard arrived.

But from this point of view I could see the huge swells that were going under our boat and then reaching what appeared Lobos and whalers, from this view it was huge crashing of white wash all over that beach.

I don't know if you were in that area but it was mean from what I saw.

Doc, did you hear about the white shark sighting that some divers saw in the water? Divers are claiming that the ones that saw the shark got some pictures/video of it as it swam by, underwater....

???

I wonder about that story but there were a lot of large sealion bulls feeding on large mulas, we saw at least three attacks all in deep open water by ball buster...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom