Sunday CSSP dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip Report-CSSP
Sunday Dives.
Arrived Sunday about noon.
Dive gas 36%, Drysuit, steel 98’s, and twenty-four lbs of weight.

Surface Temp 72 degrees according to my Uwatec.
Vis at surface was very good.

First Dive- Heather, Austin, Andrew and Chip
At the 21ft thermocline temperature was in the mid sixties.
Visibility had dropped to maybe 10ft.
Ran out to the cruiser from middle dock then cruised back.
Warm up dive.

Second Dive- Chip and Myself
Scootered from middle dock to airplane 12 minutes one way.
Visited the airplane.
Then we went deeper… (not much.)
At 41ft it was 52 degrees. Burrr…
Visibility really was shabby- maybe 8ft you would see an outline.
Probably safe to say 5ft at the outside so we scootered side by side.
Dive time was 45 minutes.
72 degrees never felt so good.

It was fun adding gas to my drysuit trying to hold a heading on the scooter.
Need to add tow cord to my little scooters and mount a compass.
My wrist seals need to be revisited need to cut them back - had some tingling after the first dive in my right wrist and slight swelling. Dryfit undershirt and Columbia top worked great wicked the moisture away. Need to work on my safety stops- thought more about it when I was out of the water- not to happy with myself there.

Ron Carlo was out and we visited for a little bit and he was diving his new Optima rebreather for fun. He was out finishing up a new instructor and was his usual happy self.

End of the day was nice and quiet sitting there listening to the insects in late afternoon Texas sun.

Andrew

Crazyduck:
Ron Carlo was out and we visited for a little bit and he was diving his new Optima rebreather for fun. He was out finishing up a new instructor and was his usual happy self.

Andrew

So how did the Optima look,,,and what were Ron's comments on his dive with it....I have just seen pictures of the unit. Your vis was much better than ours over at Athens,,,and dang the 'glare' you get off the bottom with that gray clay...I got eye strain and a headache....needed lens filter.

Hey Alan,

Like most things that cost the better part of $8000.00 it looked very nice.

The Optima has really brought together many smaller manufactures and vendors to make a complete system. Overall, it has had great reviews and it was nice to see the unit in person. It seems that the unit is growing in popularity and I am sure that Diverite and its consortium can keep pace with the demand.

Ron was running the unit with full covers and the plated handsets really stood out.

For training purposes I would like to see new rb divers use a float for at least the first 100 hours in dive parks.

The optima does have decompression integration, Juergensen threat matrix, and the power is in the handsets- which is very nice.

The only down side is the potential run time verses the reality of real run time in Texas lakes and fresh bodies of water. The unit is good for hours and hours- how many people want to be in clear springs for that long?

Sounds like Athens was its usual fun and games.
Last year we saw a crayfish for the first time in years....

Andrew

Crazyduck,

Sounds like I just missed meeting you. I was trying out a new wetsuit yesterday at CSSP. Did two dives in the morning and left about 1pm. Got down to 44ft, and yes it did make the 72deg water at the surface feel nice and cozy!

Reegards!

Crazyduck:
Hey Alan,

Like most things that cost the better part of $8000.00 it looked very nice.

The Optima has really brought together many smaller manufactures and vendors to make a complete system. Overall, it has had great reviews and it was nice to see the unit in person. It seems that the unit is growing in popularity and I am sure that Diverite and its consortium can keep pace with the demand.

Ron was running the unit with full covers and the plated handsets really stood out.

For training purposes I would like to see new rb divers use a float for at least the first 100 hours in dive parks.

The optima does have decompression integration, Juergensen threat matrix, and the power is in the handsets- which is very nice.

The only down side is the potential run time verses the reality of real run time in Texas lakes and fresh bodies of water. The unit is good for hours and hours- how many people want to be in clear springs for that long?

Sounds like Athens was its usual fun and games.
Last year we saw a crayfish for the first time in years....

Andrew

Hey Andrew thanks for the recap on the unit---I know of your interest in the RB's ....I still have on my to do list before I get old,,,to do a trail class with a CCR,,,,never in my dreams could I afford one, but would be great to go thru the basics and try one out! My next step is Cavern, Adv. Wreck and Trimix....that will keep me broke for sometime to come--lol

Thanks for the report Andrew. It appears it is warming up at CSSP, glad to hear. the dive season has begun.....

Debraw:
Thanks for the report Andrew. It appears it is warming up at CSSP, glad to hear. the dive season has begun.....

LOL....well for a few of us it just continues!! :)

texdiveguy:
Hey Andrew thanks for the recap on the unit---I know of your interest in the RB's ....I still have on my to do list before I get old,,,to do a trail class with a CCR
R&B : ... Rythum and Blues ? :huh: ~~ CCR : Creedence Clearwater Revival ?? :06:

What in the world are you guys talking about ? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom