Sun Country Baggage Fees for divers, beware!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Read the fine print when you book with Sun Country (or any airline, I have learned FINALLY.) I am going to play the ignorance card, but we found out today that it will cost $150 each to transport our scuba gear to and back from Cozumel.

Disappointed. :no:

Pack it in a normal suitcase that doesn't scream scuba gear and don't tell them you have scuba gear. As long as it is under 50 lbs., you can pay the normal bag fee of $25. I did it in July.

Also, buy one of those hand held bag weighers too - I regretted not having one! I figured if I had it with me I could have stood in line and charged a dollar a bag to use it and made my money back lol!

I am flying them tomorrow and don't intend to discuss the contents of my bags. All of the sensitive stuff is carried on any way. If there is a question about it the fins and BCs that are checked are "evening wear" for a costume party! :blinking:

Their policy:

"The following sporting equipment will not be counted as a piece of your checked baggage
allowance, and require additional fees. (NOTE: Sun Country does not provide bags or boxes for items listed below. Please call Sun Country Reservations at 1-800-359-6786 or 651-905-2737 for Minneapolis/St. Paul local calls (Mon-Sun, 5am-Midnight Central Time), if you plan to bring any of the following items on you on your trip.)

* Scuba-Diving Equipment: One item of scuba diving equipment consists of: One (1) regulator, one (1) pressure gauge, one (1) mask, two (2) fins, one (1) snorkel, one (1) knife, one (1) spear gun and one (1) BC-vest (cannot contain air cartridges). The charge is $75 on all flights. These items must be placed in a container that prevents damage to the equipment. Like all passenger airlines, we are prohibited from transporting scuba diving tanks, even if they are empty."

Looks like an old and flawed policy. Why were you transporting a spear gun? Then way I learned English, you would have to have all those things listed with the conjunctive "and" to meet their definition of Scuba-Diving Equipment. In any case, the answer is if it fits in a 50 lb bag and does not include any prohibited items, it is none of the clerks business. Although they say elsewhere in their policy that no refunds can be provided, it sure sounds like it would be worth a try, if for no other reason than to present your complaint.

I wouldn't tell them I'm transporting scuba gear. As long as your bags are within the weight/safety allowance, why should they care what's in there?

Several airlines have similar fees, but I've never been asked if I had scuba gear so I have never paid the fee. Like mentioned above, don't use bags that scream "Scuba Gear Here!" I carry on my mask, regs, computer and camera equipment. The bag has BC, fins, with clothes and towel on top. If they ask I'll just open it to show the clothes and towel.

I think they have the policy so they are relieved of all liability when you don't tell them it's scuba gear. If something is damaged then you can't go back on them.

I flew Sun Country in July and didn't want to pay the fees. I managed to get all my gear (including fins, regs and BCD,) plus everything else into a carry on suitcase and a backpack. It took a bit of downsizing and serious suitcase cramming but I had everything I needed and was glad to not have to check bags. If at all possible, carry on.

Last edited:
I do not think an airline has a right to open a bag. Some airlines disallow responsibilities for damage to scuba gear so I have to wonder about this approach but the hell with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom