Summer of the whale shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, those are some great photos with a perspective that I have never seen before. The only other way you could get photos like this would be from a plane or helicopter, and I doubt they would be as good. The blue, clear water is amazing.

You're right. The perspective is unique, however, all of my photos from offshore look that way. :wink:

I was told that the photos were taken from the Thunderhorse platform. We see interesting wildlife out there all of the time....huge mantas, sea turtles etc. I've never personally seen a whale shark but I've heard several reports.

Below is a photo of HI389 near the flower gardens. It really sucks when a dive boat full of smiling faces pulls up to the platform when you're stuck working...

Attachments

• 389Aboat_100.jpg
    389Aboat_100.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 37
  • HI389A_100.jpg
    HI389A_100.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 38
I am also curious as to the seemingly huge increase in sightings by divers and fisherman of whale sharks in the N. G of M. I grew up in Destin and haven't seen or heard anything like this summer's large increase. I saw one once while fishing about 15 years ago. Climate change, whale shark population increase, sign of the apocolypse...what is the reason? I hope it stays like this in the future though!

As a fisherman, I've experienced summers where 2ft seas in the Gulf were both welcome and rare. We have been blessed this year with good weather virtually every weekend since the water turned warm enough for the general diving population, and that is unusual. We were also blessed with no large-scale flooding of the midwest, which usually results in mud and algae blooms from the Mississippi River that spreads from one end of the gulf to the other. Finally, we've dodged the bullet (so far) on hurricanes. The result is week after week of clear, warm water with wave heights that allow most folks with boats to get out and do some fishing and diving.

Taking all of that into account: Are there more whale sharks in the Gulf this year, or are we simply seeing the ones that were there before with greater frequency???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom