Summer Keys help for a Yankee...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I got a gig at SeaCamp this summer and am stoked about it. I'm from Boston originally, living in NC now. I'll do 2 hour long mid 40's dives in a 7mm john no problem, and can hang out in our dive well at school for 5 hours a day in 84* water with no problems. Just wondering what the locals use for exposure protection and normal attire. Trying to find out as much as I can before I end up down there and drop 20lbs in 3 days from sweating...

I am not a local in the keys but don't live too far away and try to get down as often as possible. water temps in the summer are pretty warm: mid 80 degrees. I wear a 2MM shorty with no hood unless I am on a wreck. On a wreck I will usually wear a 3MM full so I don't accidently cut myself. A buddy wears a .5MM (1/2MM) full wetsuit and is fine during the summer, though he might put on a hood for deeper dives or if he is doing numerous dives in a day. Many divers only wear swimsuits in the middle of the summer as well, especially on the shallow reefs. I can't imagine that you'll need your 7MM farmer john under any circumstances. Let's hope the oil spill does not make its way over to the keys.

oh lord no, that thing isn't coming with me. I'll bring my drysuit just in case we do some deep wrecks, but I was just wondering if it was the norm for a bathing suit and rash guard or to have a real thin steamer.

It is everything from nekkid (trunks and t-shirt) to dry suit that time of year. It depends on your comfort level.

I dive nekkid even on deep wrecks (I find it keeps me "honest"). I have seen divers come out of wrecks splotched with rust/drag/etc. marks... and... a few times my "honesty" has cost me a scar, but not often.

From a local in the Keys. CoolTech is right on the money on this one. I wear boardshorts and bikini tops with a rash guard top. Only at night will I wear a 2mm thats becuase ethe waters are drop to the mid 80's at night and that's a bit to cold for me to be happy. Have a great time here and look me up maybe we can hit a dive or two together.
Also check the board before coming as many shops have deals going during the summer to save you money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom