Sulawesi Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwake

Reaction score
Planning my next dream dive trip and looking into N. Sulawesi (Lembeh Straight) due to its abundent macro photography life. Anyone been there recently and have any insight on safety concerns for Americans?

Thanks!

Dunno if the situation has changed yet ; I was in N-Sulawesi in August, though almost a month before the Bali incident, and i can state that there were no safety concerns for western incl.american divers.
N-Sulawesi is mainly catholic and a trouble free province, but, once again, who could have guessed for Bali?
In doubt, contact Jeremy Barnes at safari tours in Manado (should be something like www.manadosafaris.com), he's an helpful american guy who runs his own travel agency. You can also check www.sulawesi-info.com, a useful website for any news around.

Don't miss Lembeh and most of all Bangka dive spots (Batu Mandi and Sahaung are unbelievable), far superior from Manado's.
If you have 4 days to spend overland, don't hesitate going for a 1-2 days trek in northern Tanah Toradja, southern Sulawesi, this is the other place where touring in 100% safe for westerners.

I would not say for Makassar or Bira area, as a bombing occured in a fast food restaurant in december (was it local or tourist aimed?) : unfortunately Makassar Straits waters are too little dived but I've seen there the most impressive coral and nudibranch variety. "as good as Wakatobi but with more fish life" stated the DM I was diving with.

Diving the Lembeh Strait is easier now. Recently three new divecenters opened. Cheaper alternatives to the famous and good Kungkungan Bay resort. See http://gb.diving-on-sulawesi.com
Like everywhere in the world nowadays you could become the target of a terrorist attack. Although the chance in our small divers lodge seems very tiny. Please know that also the vast majority of the muslim part of the population never sympatized with terrorists.

Just came back last week-end from a 1-wk diving trip in Manado/Bunaken/Lembeh strait.

I had a fantastic time as far as diving is concerned and I would strongly advise you to go if you can.

This place is for Macro only; do not expect to see any big fish apart from one or two reef shark.
Visibility was excellent and you get to see a lot of small critters - particularly in Lembeh strait - that you have never seen before...really amazing! Needless to say that you should take a U/W camera with you if you can. I also enjoyed the Bunaken walls with all the soft corals in very good conditions.

I dived with Eco-divers and stayed at Tasik Ria Resort. I was very satisfied with the service provided by the dive shop. They have two big diving boats ( size of liveabord!) and this is a big plus for this dive shop.
The resort was just ok but probably above average in region. Food was a bit lousy....but I was here for the diving which was outstanding!!!

Run...

I have heard that Jan and Fen is the worst month to dive in Bunaken.

Is it true?

I plan to dive on 25th Jan and very worried about the weather and visibility.

Did anybody dive in Bunaken during these twp months?

Thanks

Altough in January the wind from the West and North can cause a swell and waves it is still possible to make good dives from Bunaken. They are experienced enough to choose the right sides on the protected sides of the island. Only the transfer from and to Manado can be rough. THe Lembeh Strait is calm all year through. More about the monsoon on gb.diving-on-sulawesi.com

bearteacher.tw,

As mentioned earlier, I was in Manado last week and I can say that the sea was calm and the visibility was excellent on dives in Bunaken (20-25meters minimum). In Lembeh strait, visibility was also ok.

Weather was good throughout the week (Sun out all day). It did rained twice for a couple of hours on two seperate days but who cares when you dive, right!!!!

No worries....

Asia in an extremely safe place. I was in Manado in November and had a wonderful time. A previous post said the people were Catholic, but I think they are Protestant, but that doesn't matter much. ALL the people in Manado (Muslims, Christians, Bhuddists or Athiests) were extremely nice.

Of cousre, don't go around being a flamboyant tourist either. Respect the culture of the place you are visiting and there should be no problems at all

Do not be intimidated by people staring at you. It's a common occurence all over Asia, and most people mean no harm by it. They're just curious, and probably have nothing much better to do in the slow moving pace of life.

The US government has made so many enemies in its short history, and now many people are anti-American. But I think that is displeasure toward the government. Individually, there are no problems. Why the State department issued warnings for Bali after the attack is beyond me. I sure didn't see any advisories about travel to the US after the unfortunate NYC incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom